Dana 60 Disk Brake Rotor?

Modified FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
threepiece

Dana 60 Disk Brake Rotor?

Post by threepiece »

All of the research I have done for the J20 brake conversion indicates the GM rotor should be used, specifically the K20 front rotor, which by the way is the same as the J20 front rotor. Well they won’t fit my hubs. They are too small. I cannot fit the hub inside the depression of the rotor.

Does anyone know what application will work with the Jeep D60 hub?
I used to name my FSJ’s after their previous owners, I realized I had too many with five named Rick.

Dang raccoons again!

Rust is a color too.

Topic author
threepiece

Re: Dana 60 Disk Brake Rotor?

Post by threepiece »

A closer look at a picture in a different thread suggests I am configuring this the wrong way. I for some reason assumed the rotor goes outboard of the hub. I now believe it goes inboard. I shall report my findings.
I used to name my FSJ’s after their previous owners, I realized I had too many with five named Rick.

Dang raccoons again!

Rust is a color too.

Dr.Bob

Post by Dr.Bob »

I suppose it depends on the setup of the bracket, but on my 14B rear disc setup, the rotors sat behind the hub flange, so that's not uncommon.

Topic author
threepiece

Post by threepiece »

Dr.Bob wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 9:20 am I suppose it depends on the setup of the bracket, but on my 14B rear disc setup, the rotors sat behind the hub flange, so that's not uncommon.
As a tried and true “car guy” you should appreciate the idea that all reference to orientation should be made from the driver seat. I. E. front, rear, left, right, inboard, outboard. In this case “behind the hub flange” means the rotor is off the axle closer to the taillight.

The 14B must then use a larger rotor than the D60 if the hub fits inside of it. I was actually looking at what might be a better way of configuring this disc brake using a larger rotor on the outboard side of the hub. It would also need to have a deeper offset, perhaps a rotor from a dual wheel truck?

Dang raccoons again!

Rust is a color too.

FLeetFox

Post by FLeetFox »

FWIW, I was under the impression the K20 used a 10 bolt front or a 44. K30 has the D60 front for sure, 2 hub styles, SRW and Dually.

Fleet Fox
I do things my way, and I pay a high price.... JCM

mrtazwrench

Post by mrtazwrench »

Everything I have seen states that the rotor goes behind the hub and that you need to find longer wheel studs that go through the rotor and are driven into the hub, I believe that is the same way the front rotors are installed.