Th400 mount angle?

Modified FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
donzi

Th400 mount angle?

Post by donzi »

Hi Guys,

I just swapped an amc th400 in place of my T15 and the trans mount is angled due to the clocking of the amc th400 bellhousing. Any thoughts on the right way to solve this? Seems a bit extreme to just crank the bolts on the mount. Make a flat shim maybe to take up the difference? I attached a pic.

Jeffrey
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

itselliott

Re: Th400 mount angle?

Post by itselliott »

something isn't quite right ,..the trans pan looks off angle also ...possibly the engine mounts?? Did you use an AMC TH400. A little more info on exactly what you did would be helpful....?

RamJetFSJ

Post by RamJetFSJ »

(I was wrong. Removing comment to be sure no confusion in the future. Sorry!)
Last edited by RamJetFSJ on Mon Jan 04, 2021 9:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
80 Wag in 73 attire, Ram Jet 350 power

fulsizjeep

Post by fulsizjeep »

The AMC T400 does lean that way but the adapter to the QuadraTrac or Dana20 is clocked to allow the tranny mount to set flat on the cross member. I think you have an issue with the Novak adapter for your application.
Flint Boardman
88 GW, 401/727/208, 5" lift, D44s/4.10s/locked up, 35s
https://jubileejeeps.org/quadratrac

MadMax78

Post by MadMax78 »

I’m with itselliott. Looks like the motor mounts to me. Are the wood blocks under the trans holding it out of place?
MadMax78

78 Cherokee S, Wide Track, 360, TH400, Quadra Trac, TAD's SOA, 35" BFG KM2, Edelbrock Carb & Intake, MSD Coil & Ignition

sansabarJ

Post by sansabarJ »

The turbo 400 does angle as shown . The pan is NOT level like a GM application . It looks like the NEW tcase adapter there "MAY " be causing more of the angle at crossmember issue. On my 72J4000 360 / 400 trans , the angle of transmission also angles the same factory original. . It has the cast iron spacer adapter and nailheadturbo 400. The AMC case also has this " built in " design angle case clocking .
The original t case adapter ( DANA 20 ) on my 72 J4000 and jeepster commandos using the 400 has the tranny mount fairly level to crossmember. There also is an oddball steel factory spacer that ALSO has an angle machined into it as well . My suggestion is to locate factory parts for your version of the turbo400 installation and procure the correct parts .So for example , if using a 78 AMC case, get the matching adapter , and all mounting parts as needed . NOVAK offers a dual bearing premium t case adapter to replace the weak design DANA 20 adapter . J&W Jeep has all these parts used and maybe NOS .NOVAK on the NEW adapter if applicable.

SansabarJ

sansabarJ

Post by sansabarJ »

If the NOVAK adapter is what you have ( I missed the NOVAK adapter usage here apologies) get the factory adapter.
The aluminum bolt hole part of original adapters DO break , HOWEVER NOTE: the rubber bushing setup must be installed . As it controls movement of tcase and must NOT be tightened down too much so as to eliminate movement all together . In other words it requires the ability for the trans tcase to move " or "give " in normal operation . For anyone else using the DANA 20 setup . Not sure If QUADRATRAC uses the same damper bushing setup.

SansabarJ

fulsizjeep

Post by fulsizjeep »

The Jeep D20 and QuadraTrac adapters to T400 are different but both use the same mounting system.
Flint Boardman
88 GW, 401/727/208, 5" lift, D44s/4.10s/locked up, 35s
https://jubileejeeps.org/quadratrac