LS swap info.

Modified FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
Olivebaby

LS swap info.

Post by Olivebaby »

Hi I’m new to the site. So a guy I work with has a 89 GW that I have been trying to buy for years. Today he told me I can just have it. So that’s awesome. But I know it need a motor. He has and was going to put in a 454. I also have a 2004 suburban that the frame is rotten so I was thinking of taking the motor out of the burb and using that. My question is what should I keep off the burb for the swap? My thinking of using the burb motor is I know it runs great as the burb was mine. Not sure of the 454 and I would like to make this a daily driver. Thanks for any info you can help me with.

Stuka
Site Admin

Re: LS swap info.

Post by Stuka »

Welcome to the forum.

The LS out of the suburban would be a better fit. You can keep the air box and brake booster as is. The 454 doesn't really fit without changing those or doing a body lift.

There are lots of LS swap threads here, so its worth looking around for them.

As for what to keep, depends if you are going to get an adapter to put the LS in front of your 727, or use the trans/t-case from the suburban.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

TurboJ4000

Post by TurboJ4000 »

I would keep the Suburban around for as long as you can. There are lots of little things you might not realize you needed until later. Radiator hoses you can use possibly or converting to hydroboost if it has that. And when you want to put a new plug on some wiring and or need a length of red/black/green/blue/whatever color wire you will already have a scrap truck to pull from. It makes it a pain but having that stuff laying around can be helpful. And if you sell the decent parts from your Suburban you can fund the LS swap.
1970 J4000 / Chevy Frankenstein in progress
Soon to be Lq4 6.0 and 4l80e on 35s

ProTouring442

Post by ProTouring442 »

Olivebaby wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 1:07 pm Hi I’m new to the site. So a guy I work with has a 89 GW that I have been trying to buy for years. Today he told me I can just have it. So that’s awesome. But I know it need a motor. He has and was going to put in a 454. I also have a 2004 suburban that the frame is rotten so I was thinking of taking the motor out of the burb and using that. My question is what should I keep off the burb for the swap? My thinking of using the burb motor is I know it runs great as the burb was mine. Not sure of the 454 and I would like to make this a daily driver. Thanks for any info you can help me with.
Check out my build... if you have any questions give me a shout.

https://www.fsjnetwork.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1850