rough country lift

Modified FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
ArchitectJS

rough country lift

Post by ArchitectJS »

OK, i am trying to install the RC lift. I removed the old shackle bushing and am trying to install the new set that comes with the kit. The bushing just seems to large. Any trying to "press" it on only makes it fatter. Am i crazy? Is there a trick i just dont get? Measuring seems like the bushing is a 1/16 larger than the shackle.

Thoughts?
1982 Cherokee, base (Bumppo)
AMC 258 / A727 - AMC 20 / NP208
Holley Sniper with Hyperspark
3" Rough County Lift

Topic author
ArchitectJS

Re: rough country lift

Post by ArchitectJS »

3" Rough County Lift

Topic author
ArchitectJS

Post by ArchitectJS »

Looking at what BJs offers;

https://www.bjsoffroad.com/Rear-Shackle ... _1347.html

Seems like i need to remove that sleeve in the pic above. Do i need BJs bushing? Or, do i just use the RC bushing, which should now fit?
3" Rough County Lift

threepiece

Post by threepiece »

I have never done this particular process but I have done similar. Try placing a worm type hose clamp on the bushing to reduce the diameter. Two or three might work better than one, I don’t know. In any case I think some lubrication will be needed. Because it is polyurethane you could use regular grease, good luck!

I see now that you may have found a solution.
I used to name my FSJ’s after their previous owners, I realized I had too many with five named Rick.

Dang raccoons again!

Rust is a color too.

rocklaurence
Vendor

Post by rocklaurence »

ArchitectJS wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 7:01 pm Looking at what BJs offers;

https://www.bjsoffroad.com/Rear-Shackle ... _1347.html

Seems like i need to remove that sleeve in the pic above. Do i need BJs bushing? Or, do i just use the RC bushing, which should now fit?
You are correct. Remove the sleeve and clean up the rust before pushing the new bushing in. The RC doesnt need a metal sleeve.

coolhand75

rough country lift

Post by coolhand75 »

Looks like part of the old bushing is still in there

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Never mind

Topic author
ArchitectJS

Post by ArchitectJS »

Got it. Air chisel to the rescue.

Rears are in- preliminary measurements = 4" of lift. I imagine this will settle down some.
3" Rough County Lift

coolhand75

Post by coolhand75 »

Get some good shocks. It matters

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Topic author
ArchitectJS

Post by ArchitectJS »

I started working on the front. Removed the drivers side and found a bent shackle.

1) I ordered two from FSJParts. They were very cheap. Now i know why, they are thinner materials than original. My cherokee will not go offroad. Is anyone familiar with these shackles?

2)I screwed up. I burned up the poly bushings that came with the kit replacing the shackle bushings nor realizing these were for the front spring. More parts to order...

EDIT - Sent 'em back. The package is marked for XJ jeep. They don't fit. Aren't the same duty. I should've went straight to BJs.
3" Rough County Lift

Topic author
ArchitectJS

Post by ArchitectJS »

Nearly complete with this kit. Recieved the BJs shackles. Put everything together. Had to order a shock mount as the stud was stripped.

Another question:

Driver's Front; The spring is installed and all connections are made. Things are bolted up loosely. I'm having trouble getting the guide pin to drop in the hole in the spring. Any tips on how to do this?

I was able to get the rears to drop in with a little jockeying. The passenger front with the stabilizer plate went together pretty easy. The driver's front seems a fair bit off, will take some persuasion. And, yes- i reversed the front spring per the instructions
3" Rough County Lift

rocklaurence
Vendor

Post by rocklaurence »

Loosen the Passenger U bolts enough the other side to be manipulated

Topic author
ArchitectJS

Post by ArchitectJS »

Sorry for the dumb questions- im a noob to just about everything.
3" Rough County Lift

Topic author
ArchitectJS

Post by ArchitectJS »

EDIT;

So, my difficulty with the alignment pin is not just wiggling, or loosening something. I began to think that whatever bent and damage the shackle i replacement (same side) must have tweaked something ever so slightly to make alignment difficult. I was off by at least 3/16" or so.

I ended up putting a block against my tire and angling my floor jack to push the spring sideways so that it would align as i tightened the Ubolts. Problem solved.

When something isn't going quite right usually something is wrong, you're doing it wrong, or need a better expanation! :)
3" Rough County Lift

rocklaurence
Vendor

Post by rocklaurence »

"And, yes- i reversed the front spring per the instructions". Why did you reverse the spring? Are you doing a Shackle Reversal?
The center pin on our springs are offset 1" [not center]. So, each spring has a short end relative to the center pin. The short end of the spring attaches to the rear mount. The long end attaches to the shackle at the front. If one spring is flip/reversed and the other isnt, the center pins between the two spring wont line up with the axle mounts.

Topic author
ArchitectJS

Post by ArchitectJS »

The instructions from RC says for SJ jeeps the front springs should be flipped. Did i read that wrong? I left the shackle in the front, where it always was.
3" Rough County Lift