Swing Out Bumper Build

Modified FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
ZacharyH

Swing Out Bumper Build

Post by ZacharyH »

I'm building a bumper that will hold a spare tire and 2 jerry cans.
I am using 4x4x(3/1")" steel tube for bumper. 2x2x(3/16)" steel tube for the swingout. (1/4)" steel plate for the frame mount.
I got all this steel for $120 at the steel yard.
Bumper bolts in to the rear crossmember.
Here is the mounts welded on to the main section of the bumper with 2" of tubing between them.
Here is the hinge and latch I intend to use

xjranger2003

Re: Swing Out Bumper Build

Post by xjranger2003 »

Let's see your progress!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

77 Wagoneer :)
82 CJ-7 Sold :oops:
96 XJ Sold :(

Topic author
ZacharyH

Post by ZacharyH »

xjranger2003

Post by xjranger2003 »

Good start!

Topic author
ZacharyH

Post by ZacharyH »

Its done! will do a youtube video soon showing how it works.

rocklaurence
Vendor

Post by rocklaurence »

Awesome, I saw on Dirt Lifestyle [Nate-YouTube] that used the same spindle setup as you. I love to see Every-day guys building their Rigs!!

threepiece

Post by threepiece »

rocklaurence wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 6:51 am Awesome, I saw on Dirt Lifestyle [Nate-YouTube] that used the same spindle setup as you. I love to see Every-day guys building their Rigs!!
I like to see home builds too. Building a carrier/bumper with moving parts like this can be a big step in someone’s ability as there are conditions and issues to overcome that don’t present themselves when building something static.

The main reason I am here on this Forum is to share my knowledge and experience with others whenever I can.

I question the popularity of these spindles for an application like a swing out. Roller bearings, especially tapered ones like the ones in these spindles were designed for high speed, high load, high duty and high temperatures. None of these conditions exist in a swing out carrier. Some of the OEM swing outs don’t have any bearings. The only advantage I see in using them is convenience but from a design view that doesn’t make it right. It’s kind of like putting a T18 four speed transmission in a CJ with a 6 cyl. Engine. It works great but as AMC eventually realized it was overkill and costing them money.
I used to name my FSJ’s after their previous owners, I realized I had too many with five named Rick.

Dang raccoons again!

Rust is a color too.

profbrown

Post by profbrown »

I look to do something like this on my 68 wag as well. I am in the midst of an ls swap, so I am putting a blazer tank in and losing the under body spare mounting location. Bummer, but a custom rear bumper sounds good!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1968 Wagoneer | In the midst on an LS Swap to a 5.3 truck motor
700R4 Trans, Dana 20 T-Case
Sitting on 31s
Dana 44 rear | Dana 27 front (Swapping both to 77/78 Dana 44s from a Wag ;) )

xjranger2003

Post by xjranger2003 »

At $52, that hinge is better and smoother than using a bolt and nut.

I know what you are getting at though. He doesn't need it but wanted it. Just remember there are many ways to skin a cat.

SJTD

Post by SJTD »

Advantage of a taper bearing setup is that it has no play if set up correctly so no rattles. You aint going to get that with sliding tubes.

Maybe with machined bushings but those'll prolly cost as much as that kit.
Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

profbrown

Post by profbrown »

Any idea on what a set up like this weighs? Think my wagon has a case of the wag sag going on (I believe it has a lift kit on it), so adding more weight is only going to make this worse. May need to investigate replacement rear springs. Luckily my 68 is hard as hell to find parts for lol

1968 Wagoneer | In the midst on an LS Swap to a 5.3 truck motor
700R4 Trans, Dana 20 T-Case
Sitting on 31s
Dana 44 rear | Dana 27 front (Swapping both to 77/78 Dana 44s from a Wag ;) )

Topic author
ZacharyH

Post by ZacharyH »

profbrown wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 3:10 pm Any idea on what a set up like this weighs? Think my wagon has a case of the wag sag going on (I believe it has a lift kit on it), so adding more weight is only going to make this worse. May need to investigate replacement rear springs. Luckily my 68 is hard as hell to find parts for lol

not sure, by the time you have a 60lb wheel+tire probably 150lbs atleast. I'm also building a front bumper right now ill show pictures when its done.

Topic author
ZacharyH

Post by ZacharyH »

Finished the front bumper. used 4x4x3/16 square tubing and (1/4)" for all the mounting pieces

threepiece

Post by threepiece »

SJTD wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 1:55 pm Advantage of a taper bearing setup is that it has no play if set up correctly so no rattles. You aint going to get that with sliding tubes.

Maybe with machined bushings but those'll prolly cost as much as that kit.
Not really, plain bearings are the simplest and least expensive of all. Plain bearings will give performance that equals that of tapered roller bearings under these circumstances at significantly less cost. With plain bearings there will also be no need for a seal, a castle nut and a threading operation on the spindle which would reduce cost further. As I said this is a convenience issue. The kit allows someone to put together a carrier like the one ZacharyH has without the need to machine and fit his own parts. I’m wondering if there is a similar kit available that uses plain bearings for less cost? The roller bearings kits are the only ones I have seen.
I used to name my FSJ’s after their previous owners, I realized I had too many with five named Rick.

Dang raccoons again!

Rust is a color too.

SJTD

Post by SJTD »

Since you admittedly can't identify the easy source of those bearings that fit the OD of the axle tube or shaft and the ID of the outer tube with no machining I think you should avoid criticizing the design. And you'd still have to keep the two together with plain bearings so some threading and a nut is still required unless you use some cotter pin set up so they'd still have some play.

Few guys have a lathe and I'd still go with the one stop overbuilt setup for sixty bones over the adequate affair that I have to find and piece together to a half or even a third of that.
Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

1978J10REDWHITE

Post by 1978J10REDWHITE »

This is the bomb here!
Also thought about building my own R-bumper with the extra things I want on it to.
Question here, I plan to put Bilstein shocks on my 79 Wagoneer, yet might replace and upgrade to a 2~2 1/2” leaf springs too.
Is there some shock extension plates for adding back to make their travel the same amount , so they don't bottom out in extension?
Haven’t heard good reports about the Rough country or other brand shock so Bilsteins are it for me.
thx
Last edited by 1978J10REDWHITE on Fri Dec 25, 2020 11:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.

threepiece

Post by threepiece »

SJTD wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 10:51 am Since you admittedly can't identify the easy source of those bearings that fit the OD of the axle tube or shaft and the ID of the outer tube with no machining I think you should avoid criticizing the design.
Since I don’t recall ever looking for these bearings and I cannot find where I admitted that I could not identify a source for them in my previous post, I will assume that you will admit that you were mistaken and I now have your approval to continue to criticize this hinge. This is after all a technical forum where critical discussion that benefits all is what it’s all about.

Plain bearings are available in a range of over and under sizes. Steel rod and DOM tube is available in an array of nominal sizes. With the plethora of possibilities I would not be surprised if a combination suitable for a swing away is available without the need for machining. If you or anyone else is interested feel free to look them up.

The fact is bearings aren’t even necessary. With no more equipment than a welder and a drill press, a yoke can be made and used with good success. The farther apart the ears are the more tolerant It will be of excessive clearance.

Many of us have lost perspective in this modern age of convenience. It pains me when I hear others make excuses why something can’t be done when in fact it can. With so many fathers lacking hand skills to pass down, too many of our children are learning that they need “ kits” to make something happen, or it becomes too difficult if the process involves more than a wrench and screwdriver. As someone here has already said, there is more than one way to skin a cat.

The internet and forums like this is our only hope to delay the inevitable. Here our children can gain knowledge from sources without commercial interest. Asking someone who has forty years of experience fixing and building things with and without machine tools to avoid criticism is a disservice to all.

Dang raccoons again!

Rust is a color too.

rocklaurence
Vendor

Post by rocklaurence »

I like how you incorporated the receiver tube in the front bumper.. I did the same thing with my FSSR Receiver