Aftermarket Power Windows

Modified FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
elowsma

Post by elowsma »

Adding Power windows to my 78 Wag. There's the A1 guys and Autoloc, but there is another I have seen and once contacted but I cannot remember who they were. Basically a guy who modifies them himself. I believe out of N. Carolina (or maybe somewhere else). Anyone have any idea of who I am thinking of?

Hobart

Re: Aftermarket Power Windows

Post by Hobart »

I don't know who you are referring to, but I'm adding P/W to my '79 Wagoneer using a full-floating kit from Ball's. I haven't done it yet, so I can't relate any truck data; but I installed the kit on my 1958 Chevy Delray wagon and it worked great and was an easy install. That said, the guy that runs Ball's is a real tool; but the products his people make are good so I have to disregard that moron.
https://www.ballsrodandkustom.com/index ... tail&p=100
Bill

1979 Wagoneer
1959 Bel Air
1968 Nova
1972 Eldo ragtop
1980 Z28

Topic author
elowsma

Post by elowsma »

Thanks Bill,
I am going to check them out. There seems to be a few flat glass aftermarkets out there. I eventually found the one I was thinking of. It was 'Nu-Relics'. I am going to put them on my front door and I think I might try Ball on the rear.

madmikex3

Post by madmikex3 »

Interesting. Nu-Relics isn’t far from me. Let me know which one you try. The one posted above seems to be pretty universal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1978J10REDWHITE

Post by 1978J10REDWHITE »

Hobart,
How has the process been on the power window upgrade/

Hobart

Post by Hobart »

1978J10REDWHITE wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 3:57 am Hobart,
How has the process been on the power window upgrade/
I haven't had any time to do it yet, and the way things are going, I doubt it'll happen for a few months. But I'll update when I do.
Bill

1979 Wagoneer
1959 Bel Air
1968 Nova
1972 Eldo ragtop
1980 Z28

1978J10REDWHITE

Post by 1978J10REDWHITE »

Sure thx,
I am interested in doing this for my 79 Waggy.
Reading the website it claims their switches are superior quality.
So its the quality of pieces I’m mainly wondering about.

emillika

Post by emillika »

Sorry to bump this older thread but looking to see what has worked for others. I have a 69 Wagoneer and a 79 Chief in for upholstery and hoping to solve for some stripped window regulators. Someone apparently liked using vice grips to open the windows at some point.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

sonoraed
Vendor

Post by sonoraed »

I ended up using electric Life power windows kits after going thru two other Ebay specials, my J has one piece door windows and requires a little more torque, took a little time to mess around with alignment but they work when others failed

Mopar_guy

Post by Mopar_guy »

sonoraed wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 8:50 am I ended up using electric Life power windows kits after going thru two other Ebay specials, my J has one piece door windows and requires a little more torque, took a little time to mess around with alignment but they work when others failed
That's good information. I;m going to do one piece windows in my Cherokee. If i may ask, what did you do for weatherstripping/channel?
83 Cherokee Laredo

Hobart

Post by Hobart »

I installed the Balls kit that I linked in a post above, in my ‘79 Wagoneer. I also replaced the felts and channels with parts from BJ’s. Everything worked well and it was reasonably easy.
Bill

1979 Wagoneer
1959 Bel Air
1968 Nova
1972 Eldo ragtop
1980 Z28

sonic4014

Post by sonic4014 »

Hobart wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 9:42 pm I installed the Balls kit that I linked in a post above, in my ‘79 Wagoneer. I also replaced the felts and channels with parts from BJ’s. Everything worked well and it was reasonably easy.
Few months turned into a few years, my how time flies... :lol: :D
2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo
2024 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LT

Laredo Matt

Post by Laredo Matt »

I was able to source a set of OE motors, glass, tracks etc. from another member on the site and they work wonderfully. Motors were rebuilt, everything bolts right in to factory holes etc.

I know you said you're going with one-piece windows, so this is probably not helpful. I too thought about going with one-piece glass and decided to stay with the factory two-piece and wing window to keep the OE styling.
Matt
83 Cherokee Laredo WT
L8T 6.6L, 6L90
GEN III LS Swap (LM7 block)
4L60E