T18 questions, missing shifter.

Modified FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
mjdriver

T18 questions, missing shifter.

Post by mjdriver »

Hey guys I acquired a j truck T 18 , early shift pattern, reverse towards dash, it's missing all the shift lever parts, and the clutch fork and pivot ball. I see that novak sells new shifters but with two different finger lengths, 3 1/8 and 3 1/2. I'll also need the retainer and what ever else there is. I think I found a clutch fork and pivot ball on bj's off-road. Thanks for any help, trying to figure out best route in replacing shifter.Image

Sent from my moto e5 cruise using Tapatalk

tgreese

Re: T18 questions, missing shifter.

Post by tgreese »

The forks are different depending on which gears they change. There's only one PN for each, through '78.

I kinda think you could buy a complete Ford shift top and it would drop on. Just make sure it's the old-style shift pattern. I expect the problem with this combo is somebody lost the parts or took them for another transmission. Other transmissions will have the same problem as this one - no value as a transmission with those parts missing. The 2WD Ford transmissions are fairly common, and one of those could serve as a donor.

Parts Mike http://www.partsmike.com/ might have your parts, and they will know what you need for each fork. Or try Herm www.hermtheoverdriveguy.com and tell him you want a complete shift top. Buying parts - used or repop - will likely cost more than a Ford transmission donor.

Look at Group 6 - L10 here: https://oljeep.com/parts_man/62-73_FSJ_ ... g_w_bm.pdf - big file!
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.

Topic author
mjdriver

Post by mjdriver »

tgreese wrote:The forks are different depending on which gears they change. There's only one PN for each, through '78.

I kinda think you could buy a complete Ford shift top and it would drop on. Just make sure it's the old-style shift pattern. I expect the problem with this combo is somebody lost the parts or took them for another transmission. Other transmissions will have the same problem as this one - no value as a transmission with those parts missing. The 2WD Ford transmissions are fairly common, and one of those could serve as a donor.

Parts Mike http://www.partsmike.com/ might have your parts, and they will know what you need for each fork. Or try Herm www.hermtheoverdriveguy.com and tell him you want a complete shift top. Buying parts - used or repop - will likely cost more than a Ford transmission donor.

Look at Group 6 - L10 here: https://oljeep.com/parts_man/62-73_FSJ_ ... g_w_bm.pdf - big file!
Thanks for the info tgreese, I should have been more clear, the shift forks and top cover stuff is all there. The shift lever and hold down (retainer nut) are missing. I'm guessing the difference in finger length is due to the shift pattern change, just not sure which one I need. I guess I could find a Ford t18 with the same shift pattern and try it. The retainer new is like 80 bucks, and shift lever also like 80 bucks but I would need to know the correct finger length. But 80 bucks for the retainer is outrageous.

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

You need the cane, and the cap. If BJ's has it aftermarket then Part Mike likely has it too. Ask them about the length you need. There is a shift top rebuild kit that has all the little parts you might need. Again this is something Parts Mike can get you.
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.

Topic author
mjdriver

Post by mjdriver »

tgreese wrote:You need the cane, and the cap. If BJ's has it aftermarket then Part Mike likely has it too. Ask them about the length you need. There is a shift top rebuild kit that has all the little parts you might need. Again this is something Parts Mike can get you.
Oh wow you weren't kidding, I checked out thier site, crazy I never heard of them. I'll get in contact with them on the finger length then put an order in, thanks again.