Help with 1st Jeep purchase

Modified FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
ArchieBald

Help with 1st Jeep purchase

Post by ArchieBald »

I’m looking for a camping/highway rig to expand my money pit way of life. The Cherokee Chiefs have always had a space in my 4x4 desires. One has popped up on my radar that’s not to far away and I’m headed in that direction(kinda sorta) this weekend:
  • 1978 cherokee Chief S WT
    white (possibly original ) paint/ black stripe- patina
    Said to run and drive
    “built” 360
    Automatic
    Dana 44 r&r
    4-6” lift
    33” BFG a/t
    fair interior- front seats swapped( black leather w/big boosters) dash has missing parts/areas. Typical 40 yr old truck condition.
    Visible rust- rear fender flairs and a whole in tailgate( odd place on this, possible accident) Floor board in pic looks good. Rockers appear solid, but they may be misaligned with the fenders.
    Body appears straight with the exception of the hole in tailgate.
I’m not new to wrenching, but most of my ownership has been Toyota’s so this a bit of a leap for me. I read the buyers guide in the faq and will use that as a check list. Overall, from the pics I’d say its in good to fair. Asking price is $3500.
I’m not looking for an extreme offroader or a car show queen. None of my vehicle are considered pretty. I want functionality and the classic muscular look of the Cherokee. Something I can camp out of with the family. I’m also not a purist, so down the road I’d like it to be able to tow a 7k trailer in the mountains and dessert. This would possibly require a interior refresh and drivetrain swap.

So I’m open to all thoughts and suggestions.

tgreese

Re: Help with 1st Jeep purchase

Post by tgreese »

Buyer's guide?

Suggest you read the page about the Quadratrac here: http://jubileejeeps.org/quadratrac/index.htm This is the prime liability with this vintage of Cherokee.

7000 lbs? That sounds like a lot for one of these vehicles. However, I am not an expert.

The newest of these Jeeps is nearly 3 decades old. A '78 is 43 years old now, and even in great condition, that much age has its issues. Had you considered other vehicles, like the ZJ or WJ?
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.

letank

Post by letank »

X2 , as said above, a 7K trailer... no go... I towed a waggy with a waggy about 4K, I was careful... but on that right hand turn... when I pressed the brake pedal .... nothing happened... I made it to the next parking lot... Otherwise, the transmission warmed me up... it was February with a light snow in the sierra foothills ... I had to take a break for 30 min to let the transmission oil chill... even with the HD trans cooler.

Towing, 7K, go diesel... any towing.... DIESEL... w turbo... cost more, but ease of mind!
Michel
74 wag (349 Kmiles... parked, next step is a rust free body)
85 Gwag (229 Kmiles... the running test lab)

Topic author
ArchieBald

Post by ArchieBald »

Thanks for the input. While I he desire is real, I’m still learning about in-depth pats of these trucks. That being said, my long term plans for this project would involve some sort of drivetrain swap and braking upgrades. More likely an ls than a diesel though.
But alas after I posted this, the chief sold. I’ll be back with questions on the next one. Thanks again.

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

The LS swap has been done a lot in these Jeeps, and works out well. Re the towing, you could transplant enough power, but the wheelbase won't change - shorter than a Wrangler Unlimited, 110" vs 116". You would not think of towing 8000 lb with a JKU, which is about the same size as a Wagoneer/Cherokee.

For many years the Chevy Suburban was a favorite for towing, since it had the pickup truck wheelbase and truck chassis. They were available in 4WD, and plenty of Chevy trucks out there that provide an easy upgrade path.
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.

Topic author
ArchieBald

Post by ArchieBald »

That’s true on the burb, but they’re not what I was looking for style wise. I do like them in the sixties variety. I’m on the hunt again, we’ll see what catches my eye.