Bad lifter..... time for a cam swap??

Modified FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
wacker

Bad lifter..... time for a cam swap??

Post by wacker »

Troubleshooting a stuck valve today led to a failed lifter, which led to removing the intake manifold and questioning the health of all the lifters and the cam itself.

I pulled the offending lifter, Cylinder #1 intake. The lifter came out in pieces and the follower surface that rides the cam was worn so bad it was concaved with a pin hole in the bottom. I’m guessing there would be some excessive wear on the cam lobe from this as well.

Anyway, this leads me to think my best way forward would be a cam swap. Why waster cash and effort on a stock cam?

The Edelbrock Performer Cam seems to be the popular choice? This is an otherwise stock 360 in a 79 Waggy on 31’s with stock gearing. Just looking for a little more torque and maintain driveability.

Let me know if this is the sane train of thought or if I’m just looking for an excuse to upgrade. Lol.

letank

Re: Bad lifter..... time for a cam swap??

Post by letank »

dang, sorry about that failure, check my post(sss)

viewtopic.php?t=15517

Bought a camshaft on ebay... from a Calif vendor who seems to be a parts warehouse... no problems after 1 year... and less than 1500 miles... dam SIP

the ones from summit looked either rusty or did not have the cam card...
Michel
74 wag (349 Kmiles... parked, next step is a rust free body)
85 Gwag (229 Kmiles... the running test lab)

Topic author
wacker

Post by wacker »

Ordered the MTA-1 through Jegs. At $175ish, it’s a lot cheaper than the similar speced Edelbrock.

I ordered:
Intake manifold gasket
Timing cover gasket set
Valve cover gaskets
Cam lube
.....am I missing something?

Obviously, I’ll need fluids that I can get local.

Also, any recommendations for a 4 barrel manifold besides the edelbrock?

letank

Post by letank »

at this point a water pump, the aluminum version that we all seem to have adopted.

as for tool, the degree wheel and the special socket to rotated the crank,

http://theamcforum.com/forum/crankshaft ... page1.html

it took me a good 7hrs to degree the camshaft ,it was my first time, tedious, but I got it within 1 to 2 degrees depending on which valve it was checked. There are some yutub video, "eric the car guy" has one

https://www.ericthecarguy.com/how-to-degree-a-camshaft/

a harmonic balancer removal tool , an harmonic installer -do not pound on the balancer -yes 2 different tools- You can rent the harmonic balancer tools , but the installer is not up to specs, there was a discussion here to be found about the headaches...

as for the intake... technically we are not supposed to change carb on pollution control vehicles, and some counties do not have the biannual smog test, but I would get an intake manifold with the EGR valve provision

Also make sure that your 4 barrel can be installed on the intake manifold, there are variations on the 4 barrel pattern, spread bore, square bore... sure adapters can be installed, but then this will be another set of gaskets... and the air filter may rub on the hood

I may have forgotten some... I installed the intake manifold with the bead of silicon, not using the end rubber gaskets

and the headache of breaking the cam... so you have to be sure that your engine will start on the 1st of 2nd turn of the key... there are a few shops that specialize in breaking the cam... which seems like a great idea... I have not used any, but next time seems like a deal

edit: change all cooling line radiator and trans cooler as well

edit more, I'll add as I remember details: run plain water, if you have a leak, water is not as detrimental than glycol coolant which ruins bearings

edit 3x: try to figure out why the lobe(s) gave up, I mentioned in the post that I suspect dirt being swallowed by the oil filler pipe, that area was full of crud... in fact most of the oil filler cap filter is missing, so with the PCV working at some point outside unfiltered air will be suck thru the oil filler pcv cap circulation pathway

edit 4x: these guys breakin ford cam w lifter... they might do AMC....

http://www.camresearchcorp.com/camking/
Michel
74 wag (349 Kmiles... parked, next step is a rust free body)
85 Gwag (229 Kmiles... the running test lab)

Pair O J10

Post by Pair O J10 »

I can surmise why the cam failed along with the lifter...If the valve was in fact stuck it would load the cam....But aside from that the big problem with running flat tappet cams with today's oil is the lack of Zinc or ZDDP.....newer engines don't need zinc so oil manufacturers leave it out of the chemistry. You need to run a motor oil that has zinc in it or add it...Not only for cam break in but always.

dodgerammit

Post by dodgerammit »

Pair O J10 wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 10:54 am I can surmise why the cam failed along with the lifter...If the valve was in fact stuck it would load the cam....But aside from that the big problem with running flat tappet cams with today's oil is the lack of Zinc or ZDDP.....newer engines don't need zinc so oil manufacturers leave it out of the chemistry. You need to run a motor oil that has zinc in it or add it...Not only for cam break in but always.
There are much better additives in modern oils than zinc phosphorus stuff. However, if needing to stay with conventional I'd recommend VR1 10w30 from Valvoline. It is one of the best conventional oils left.

After I get everything broke in on the fresh build, I'm switching to Amsoil 5w30 signature synthetic. I'll update on cam failures...... :roll:
84 Grand Waggy-Radio Flyer (Garnet Red/3M Ebony Metallic woodgrain, with honey interior) AMC 360 :cry: 2004 4.8LS/Advance Adapter/727/242 D44/AMC20 Serehill tailgate and headlight harnesses :fsj: Ongoing thread-viewtopic.php?t=11897

92 Wrangler Islander 4.0/32RH/231 D30/D35 RHD

weeegoneeer

Post by weeegoneeer »

Depending on how the "lifter came out in pieces", check the bore to make sure you're still in spec.

+1 on using water instead of antifreeze for the break-in, not only because glycol is bad for bearings, but you're re-sealing a bunch of stuff and if you have a leak - water is just so much easier to clean up. Ask me how I know. :roll:
1984 GW