Twin Stick for NP228

Modified FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
kwadlington82

Twin Stick for NP228

Post by kwadlington82 »

I have a PO swapped NP228 TC in my 81 Chero that was originally equipped with a NP219. The PO has made the TC full time 4WD by fixing the mode lever. I would like to use the 2WD mode and thought of adding a twin stick instead of adding the the vacuum motor and switch to the setup. I also have the flag shifter next to tranny tunnel that I would love to get rid of.

Does anyone see a problem with using a stock car transmission twin stick to work my 2WD/4WD TC mode lever and my 4H/N/4L TC range Lever? (Picture below of the shifter and a boot that may work)

Obviously I will need to shorten or possibly put a few bends in the rods but I feel like the simplicity of the shifter assembly without the vacuum motor assembly would be beneficial. Also I prefer heims with bolts and nylocks over bushings and cotter pins on my TC linkage.

Thanks for your input!

Last edited by kwadlington82 on Mon May 11, 2020 8:31 am, edited 3 times in total.
:fsj:

rocklaurence
Vendor

Re: Twin Stick for NP228

Post by rocklaurence »

It looks good. My only concern would be the Hiems at the TC-weather theres enough room to fit on the TC levers without hitting each other. I make this Twin Stick for the NP228/229
https://rocklaurencevintageautoparts.co ... k-or-wagon

Topic author
kwadlington82

Post by kwadlington82 »

rocklaurence wrote:It looks good. My only concern would be the Hiems at the TC-weather theres enough room to fit on the TC levers without hitting each other. I make this Twin Stick for the NP228/229
https://rocklaurencevintageautoparts.co ... k-or-wagon
I've seen your setup and it's great. I can have one of these stock car shifter assemblies for free from a co-worker who does dirt car racing hence why I haven't purchased one of your setups. I think I have a solution for the heims hitting. The Range lever would stay in the stock position with the heim connection at the top towards the floor pan. The mode selector lever would be flipped so the heim connection would be at the bottom facing the ground. The only difference in this to me would be the direction you move the shifter for 2WD/4WD mode. Am I correct?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

:fsj:

threepiece

Post by threepiece »

I can’t offer any help with the function of the shifter however I will suggest the spherical rod ends (Heim joints) are adding undue cost. They are not needed for such a low cycle application as a T-case shifter and you don’t need the added benefit of a “rolling” axis. Coming from a design background they look out of place. Perhaps a clevis connection would package better.
I used to name my FSJ’s after their previous owners, I realized I had too many with five named Rick.

Dang raccoons again!

Rust is a color too.

rocklaurence
Vendor

Post by rocklaurence »

Yes, you could flip the TC lever for the clearance needed. It will reverse the operation-as you mentioned