Edelbrock shorty headers

Modified FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
tedlovesjeeps71

Edelbrock shorty headers

Post by tedlovesjeeps71 »

So I completely forgot I had a pair of these sitting on the 360 motor in my Jeepster commando project.
Since I’ve pulled the crossover pipe out in order to install an O2 sensor bung, I started thinking about running these headers instead. The original manifolds work and this may seem silly but, those bolts I used to block off the AIR tubes just strike me as back woods.
I planned to redo the entire exhaust anyway but I’m left with a few questions about these headers.
The manifold on the passenger side has that heat block butterfly thingy (and I never even modified it!).
If I use the headers will I have to extend the passenger side pipe to eliminate that block?
The Jeep manifolds use a single side bevel doughnut gasket. These headers don’t look like that at all. Is there a special gasket that works here? (See pics)
Should I use studs or bolts to attach the headers?
What exhaust gasket do you guys prefer?

*disclaimer* this is going into my Scrambler but the motor is a 360 from an 83 Wagoneer.

Topic author
tedlovesjeeps71

Re: Edelbrock shorty headers

Oops... totally forgot to add the pics. Haha! Sorry.

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

I pretty much always prefer studs to bolts. Less chance of breaking them down the road too as you can use a penetrating fluid on a nut, but not on a bolt.

For the butterfly valve, unless you won't be driving it in cold weather, I would keep it. Sure, you may have a single digit HP gain with it gone, but it does help the engine to warm up faster. Provided its working properly. The one on my old Cherokee used to stick, and would bog the engine until the exhaust forced it open when I jumped on the HWY.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

Topic author
tedlovesjeeps71

Thanks Stuka. I’ll look for studs when I go to pick up the O2 sensor and bung. It gets pretty cold here so I’ll probably think about deleting the butterfly.
I also need to look into a good paint for the headers. Wish I could have them ceramic coated but that isn’t in the budget.