Having an issue with my E-Drive (79 Wagoneer)

Modified FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
JTD

Having an issue with my E-Drive (79 Wagoneer)

Post by JTD »

So, I have a story hoping some will read and possibly give me some insight. I installed a 3" lift in my 79 Wagoneer a few weeks ago. The very next day, I began to experience binding in my front wheels when I would turn. Almost as if it was in Edrive, but not nearly as extreme. My initial suspicion was my front driveline/double cardan joint. I removed it, and it was binding a bit. Drove the Jeep without it and the issue was gone. So, I ended up getting a great deal on a custom built drive shaft. Got the new driveshaft in and found out that WASN'T the issue.

While I was out on that test drive with the new driveshaft, I had completely misunderstood the process of the figure 8's. I thought you did it IN Edrive on dirt. So, that's what I did and after a short time, I heard a POP, and was then stuck in Edrive. Couldn't get it out. It operated just as it should have being in Edrive, so I was sure I didn't break anything internally in the QT. The next day, I manually got it disengaged, and began working properly again. After getting some insight from Flint Boardman, we determined it was possibly Stick Slip. Flint had chatted with a gentleman a few years ago here that over came the same issue with a home made QT fluid. We decided to try that before taking the QT housing apart again.

So, brings us to today. I put this new QT fluid recipe in today, and it worked beautifully. No more binding in the front wheels. BUT, it doesn't seem like the Edrive is working now. When I engage the switch, the dash light turns on, but it definitely doesn't feel like it's in Edrive. I have a brand new Edrive diaphragm in and I hooked my hand vacuum pump up to the release side and then the apply side, and both are holding vacuum. Is it possible that the new fluid was good for the stick slip, but the Edrive isn't liking it? Unless that new fluid recipe is SO lubricating that even turning the wheel in Edrive, you won't feel the hopping at all. :D

Stuka
Site Admin

Re: Having an issue with my E-Drive (79 Wagoneer)

Post by Stuka »

I would make sure you are getting vacuum to the diaphragm. You can also see if it actually shifts when you apply vacuum to it. If you can see it shift, but it still acts like its in regular mode, it may be something internal.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

Topic author
JTD

Post by JTD »

Stuka wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 9:50 pm I would make sure you are getting vacuum to the diaphragm. You can also see if it actually shifts when you apply vacuum to it. If you can see it shift, but it still acts like its in regular mode, it may be something internal.
Diaphragm is good. just put it in a month or so ago. Checked all my vacuum lines then and I did test the diaphragm and it's still good. I'm thinking it's very possible that I broke the BEEP fork. In my, story, I mention that popping noise I heard. I'm betting it was the fork breaking. That's why the dash light still comes on as the diaphragm is doing it's job and the upper part of the fork that the diaphragm goes through is still moving and making the grounding connection required for the light to work. However, if the fork shaft is broke, it's just sitting there.

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

Yeah, quite possible. Which is why I added the "something internal bit". But never hurts to double check before pulling the case apart.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

Topic author
JTD

Post by JTD »

Stuka wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 7:16 pm Yeah, quite possible. Which is why I added the "something internal bit". But never hurts to double check before pulling the case apart.
Ya. Everything else is all good. Looks like I'll be opening the QT up. I have a new fork already coming.