Stalls when under power

Modified FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
ColoWagon

Stalls when under power

Post by ColoWagon »

All,
I could use help. I have an 88 Grand with a rebuilt AMC 360 engine. Been trying for about 2 years now to get through the Colorado Emissions checking. First fought with vacuum issues...got those nailed down and most recently realized I had the floats on the Edelbrock 1400 carb all messed up and was flooding the engine. Thought I had everything squared and went to try to emissions again. Fires up great, idles beautifully, but when put under power immediately stalls out. Can stab the gas to try and keep it running but that won't fly for driving. Engine was warned up fully before I put it in gear. I have the strongest springs on the needles in the carb as recommended in the instructions. I am on the second (middle hole) step for the fuel pump. Holds 15 lbs for vacuum pressure. Timing is 15 degrees.

Any thoughts? I have Tuesday and Wednesday off and would love to get this sorted. Need to use it as a daily as the wife's car needs work and will be out of commission for a couple weeks.

Much appreciate any ideas!

Brad

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

- Brad

88 GW

rocklaurence
Vendor

Re: Stalls when under power

Post by rocklaurence »

Sounds like an Accel pump issue not the metering rods [they come into play after the Accel pump]. Do you see fuel from the APump being squirted?

Topic author
ColoWagon

Post by ColoWagon »

Yep...got into it last night planning on hitting emissions today but everything is closed due to the snowstorm.
The issue I found was bad eyes. Had my kid check all of the numbers stamped into the Jets and Rods and I had mixed up the rods. Small Jets, large rod (insert joke here) and not enough fuel when transferring off the idle. Got the correct rods and Jets and hot damn was it good. Appreciate the reply and hopefully things will have cleared up enough I can try tomorrow!

Brad

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

- Brad

88 GW

ArchitectJS

Post by ArchitectJS »

Mine stalls out shifting into 2nd gear. I cant power thru- revving it up and shifting manually. If somehow i feather it thru 3rd gear its fine and i can get up to speed. They guys i've had look at it say the tranny is stalling the engine and i need a rebuild.

Mine fires up and idles like a champ. Fuel pump and pressure is great. Timing is good. I fought all the same issues of vaccuum, carb - i hope this is the solution, for me.
1982 Cherokee, base (Bumppo)
AMC 258 / A727 - AMC 20 / NP208
Holley Sniper with Hyperspark
3" Rough County Lift

letank

Post by letank »

ArchitectJS wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:32 pm Mine stalls out shifting into 2nd gear. I cant power thru- revving it up and shifting manually. If somehow i feather it thru 3rd gear its fine and i can get up to speed. They guys i've had look at it say the tranny is stalling the engine and i need a rebuild.

Mine fires up and idles like a champ. Fuel pump and pressure is great. Timing is good. I fought all the same issues of vaccuum, carb - i hope this is the solution, for me.
You should have created another post, different situation, but it seems like you need to adjust the throttle pressure shift lever next to the carb passenger side on the 360, not too sure about the 258 which has probably the 904 trans, it sounds like the clutch is not in sync with the band release, more below, from this very good site about the TF727 (same for 904) in advantages and disadvantages

https://www.allpar.com/mopar/transmissi ... -hand.html

Too late of a band release and/or too early of a clutch apply is more common; this gives a “putting on the brakes sensation” which is actually called shift overlap (Since the rear clutch is applied in both 1st and 2nd, and nothing has to be released, kickdown band timing is not as critical in the 1-2 shift). Delay in the kickdown band-release and premature clutch-apply both cause overlap and, therefore, friction material wear.
Michel
74 wag (349 Kmiles... parked, next step is a rust free body)
85 Gwag (229 Kmiles... the running test lab)