Track Bar Replacement for 1989 Wagoneer

Modified FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
megrimm

Track Bar Replacement for 1989 Wagoneer

Post by megrimm »

Hello,

We just bought a lifted 1989 Jeep Wagoneer and when we went to get it inspected the mechanic said we should probably install track bars. I am assuming when it was lifted they were removed. We will be towing an old 1964 Shasta around with it in addition to just driving around town.

My question is: What adjustable track bars should i buy?

My mechanic mentioned Rustys, Rubicon, and Rough County but my searches end vague as far as what might fit.

Thanks!
mark

derf

Re: Track Bar Replacement for 1989 Wagoneer

Post by derf »

The SJ really doesn't need a track bar at all. There's nothing wrong with just leaving it off.

Cecil14

Post by Cecil14 »

derf wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 2:38 pm The SJ really doesn't need a track bar at all. There's nothing wrong with just leaving it off.
They're pretty handy when towing, they really do make a difference. It's not going to be night and day, but it will be noticeable. As far as the bars themselves, I can't recommend a supplier. I don't know as I have seen adjustable track bars for the SJs, but there are several places that make relocation kits for lifted vehicles. BJ's Offroad is one (http://www.bjsoffroad.com/Track-Bar-Rel ... _1381.html), most of the other lift manufacturers probably offer the same. I would check with Rusty's, Hell Creek, Skyjacker, etc.
1983 J-10 - 4.6L(MPFI)/CS130D/Hydroboost/NV3550/D300/44/44/3.54/Disc-Disc/32s/42 gallon 'burb tank

Topic author
megrimm

Post by megrimm »

Great thanks for the info!

Yeah when vehicle is stationary and the wheels are moved back and forth one can see a noticeable shift in the front end. I assume this will help to stabilize?

Might there be a track bar from another model Jeep that would work?

Thanks again!
mark

Topic author
megrimm

Post by megrimm »

Looking at this for non-lifted:

https://www.quadratec.com/p/proforged/f ... agoneer-sj

I assume any track bars that fit a lifted 84-90 Jeep Cherokee XJ / Comanche MJ would also fit a lifted Wagoneer SJ?

Thanks!

Cecil14

Post by Cecil14 »

XJs and SJs are completely different vehicles and platforms, it's a real shame that AMC decided to carry the names over and confuse everyone. Essentially nothing from an XJ will fit an SJ (some exceptions here and there, of course). I would assume an XJ track bar is one of the items that will not fit, but I imagine someone else can chime in that has both and can measure or take pics for you.

Your best bet is probably going to be sourcing a couple original track bars (I think the '89 models had them front and rear?) and grab a couple relocation kits. Custom suspension components exist for our rigs, but they are not plentiful like for the more popular Jeep models.
1983 J-10 - 4.6L(MPFI)/CS130D/Hydroboost/NV3550/D300/44/44/3.54/Disc-Disc/32s/42 gallon 'burb tank

babywag

Post by babywag »

just post a wanted ad or find someone parting one out.

also check shackle & spring bushings...they wear out.
shackle bushings rarely get replaced even when folks lift these.
-Tony
'88 GW (aka Babywag)