Lokar Kick Down Cables

Modified FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
smithgm

Lokar Kick Down Cables

Post by smithgm »

In an effort to simplify things in my 89 GW, I have seen several recommendations to replace the transmission linkages with a Lokar kick down cable. My transmission shop won't do anything non-stock except maybe a shift improver kit so this is looking like a DIY job.

Who has done this and what did you learn from it? How difficult is it? I can't rip out my linkage and fail at the install resulting in a dead GW in the garage.

Any issues with reliability? Should I change out the throttle cable at the same time?

I plan on adding TBI or EFI in the next 6-12 months, should I wait until then or just plan on changing the end linkage as part of the swap?

Any other lessons learned or recommendations?

rocklaurence
Vendor

Re: Lokar Kick Down Cables

Post by rocklaurence »

Id wait until you do the EFI. The linkages between the EFI and Carb will likely be a little different

badbrains

Post by badbrains »

I just did the Lokar lockdown and throttle cable kit on a Holley sniper EFI. Seems really good and was not a complicated install .

dbx11

Post by dbx11 »

I did it on the 727 I have it’s not hard, you will need to follow the procedure if I remember I held the pedal all the way down with a brick while holding the tv/on the trans forward and tightening the cable. It’s strikingly similar to the brake cable tension on a bicycle. Instructions are included

ArchitectJS

Post by ArchitectJS »

rocklaurence wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 8:26 am Id wait until you do the EFI. The linkages between the EFI and Carb will likely be a little different
Plus you can buy a bracket for the Lokar cables set up for the EFI you choose.
1982 Cherokee, base (Bumppo)
AMC 258 / A727 - AMC 20 / NP208
Holley Sniper with Hyperspark
3" Rough County Lift