Razor Grill swap to 88

Modified FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
Rinkle_Stinkle

Razor Grill swap to 88

Post by Rinkle_Stinkle »

I've read a few threads on this but getting conflicting information so i'd like to ask the tired old question again in hopes you guys won't hate me too much.

getting a 79 razor grill from a j10 and will put it on my 88 grand wagoneer.

part I think I need:
Grill
Pie plates and round headlights
cut the mounting brackets off the bottom of the 79 and 88 and swap them and weld back on
hood bar ( I hear its a pain in the butt to drill these holes any one have suggestions or pics) I've also read that it needs to be uninstalled properly... what needs to specifically happen to uninstall it properly?
this is where i'm getting conflicting info, i've read something about the hood latch being an issue, but most say its not. thoughts?

If there anything i'm missing?

complexity of doing this swap on a 1-10? keep in mind i'm a dumb blonde :lol:
1988 Grand Wag
AMC 360 with 96K
Edelbrock intake manifold
260H Comp Cam
Edelbrock AVS 4brl carb
Headman headers
2" to thrush muff with 3" tip exhaust

Stuka
Site Admin

Re: Razor Grill swap to 88

Post by Stuka »

No pie plates for a razor grill. Those are used with rhino grills.

Also, a '79 won't have a razor grill. It will have a pig nose grill with square headlights. No hood bar is used.

Are you sure the grill is a '79?

Use the following image for help:
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

Topic author
Rinkle_Stinkle

Post by Rinkle_Stinkle »

Stuka wrote:No pie plates for a razor grill. Those are used with rhino grills.

Also, a '79 won't have a razor grill. It will have a pig nose grill with square headlights. No hood bar is used.

Are you sure the grill is a '79?

Use the following image for help:

might be a 78 then.

So no pie plates , then i'll just need to mount the round headlights with some self tapping screws? I've seen where someone used metal tabs to close in the hole for mounting, would you suggest that?
1988 Grand Wag
AMC 360 with 96K
260H Comp Cam
Edelbrock AVS 4brl carb
Headman headers

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

Rinkle_Stinkle wrote:might be a 78 then.

So no pie plates , then i'll just need to mount the round headlights with some self tapping screws? I've seen where someone used metal tabs to close in the hole for mounting, would you suggest that?
I used to aluminum sheet metal (like 1/8" thick) to make tabs for mine. Been that way for like 14 years now. You cannot mount the round lights without some sort of tabs.
2017 JKU Rubicon

Topic author
Rinkle_Stinkle

Post by Rinkle_Stinkle »

Stuka wrote:
Rinkle_Stinkle wrote:might be a 78 then.

I used to aluminum sheet metal (like 1/8" thick) to make tabs for mine. Been that way for like 14 years now. You cannot mount the round lights without some sort of tabs.

that's what I had read so that will be the plan then.

How about drilling the hood bar holes in the hood? I know they are a PITA but i'm a little unclear as to why.
1988 Grand Wag
AMC 360 with 96K
260H Comp Cam
Edelbrock AVS 4brl carb
Headman headers

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

The holes need to be fairly large, I think its like 3/4 or so. So you have to drill a pilot hole, and then use a hole saw to drill the larger hole. But the front of the hood is curved, so its tricky to drill, and they have to be nearly exact for the hood bar to line up properly.
2017 JKU Rubicon

SJTD

Post by SJTD »

Do they need to be that beeg? I figger that's for wiggle room at the factory. With some care I'd think you could drill them a little over the bolt size.

Or does part of the casting poke through?

I'm leaving the bar off on mine. I like the scoop look. Might put some baffling inside and use it for cold intake air.
Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

The casting actually pokes through. It acts as kind of an alignment.

I have a bar, but have never bother to drill the holes. I just painted that part of the radiator support satin black and it has a hood scoop kind of look.
2017 JKU Rubicon

fulsizjeep

Post by fulsizjeep »

Pretty easy modification...
http://jubileejeeps.org/tech/facelift
Flint Boardman
88 GW, 401/727/208, 5" lift, D44s/4.10s/locked up, 35s
https://jubileejeeps.org/quadratrac

Topic author
Rinkle_Stinkle

Post by Rinkle_Stinkle »

thanx guys! I really appreciate the help.

The hood bar sounds like lots of cussing and disappointment, so right up my alley!
1988 Grand Wag
AMC 360 with 96K
260H Comp Cam
Edelbrock AVS 4brl carb
Headman headers

jpswapmohn

Post by jpswapmohn »

I have the razor grill (swapped in the valence that was behind it to make it easy). I have a really good hood bar (after 3 that had cracks..pot metal isn’t really repairable). I wasn’t sure i was going to use it, so declined drilled the holes before paint. Now I am scared I will screw up the hood or get the holes wrong. It doesn’t look bad without it, but you can definitely see the top of the valence and aluminum radiator in there.. Just looks a bit unfinished to me. It may not help that my grill is mat black like the rest of the trim on the rig. Plan was to paint the hood bar black to match the grill instead of body color.

Maybe some blacked out screen of some sort behind the front line of the hood up there would look good and hide the stuff behind it. Air coming through there just hits the face of the solid upper radiator, so I am not gaining much in airflow.

I realize all that offers little help. Maybe I will get the nerve to take a drill to my grill..or get someone else to.

One day I will wake up and realize that my jeep is complete...one day, I just know it.
88Wag, LT1/4L60E/NP242, J20 axles, etc. http://imgbox.com/g/rNuIasKYrS
95YJ, STaK, D44's, SOA, ARB's, Bilstein 5150s, 35" KM2's
50 CJ3A
77 J-10 (sold)

tabrakadanak

Post by tabrakadanak »

Hey jpswapmohn!
Did you put the hood bar on the hood finally?
I'll make the swap this summer and I need a hood bar, can't find one... If you want to sell scrap of your spare ones, or even the one you didn't install, contact me!
Thanks