J20 running gear to J10 advice

Modified FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
j10builder

J20 running gear to J10 advice

Post by j10builder »

I asked some of this back in March but I'm checking in again to get some refreshed advice. I've pulled the T18 transmission, transfer case (same as J10 NP 208AM) and steering box from the donor J20, next I'm going after the front and rear axles. The J20 body is trashed so putting it back on the road is not an option. Trucks are 1980 model J10, 81 J20. My questions are these:

1. I want to lift the J10 4"'-5", should I go with Skyjacker or will the J20 springs do the job? I don't know much about lifting vehicles. If I stick with 3/4t springs, won't that make for a stiffer ride? Maybe an off the shelf kit with helper airbags or something for the rare times I'll be heavy loading it?
2. What pitfalls should I be looking out for?
3. do I need to do the front axle as well? Are they the same? Aren't they both Dana 44's?
3. Will my drive shafts work? Earlier I was told front should but back would need to be modified. Is that correct?
4. What else should I be grabbing from the J20?
5. Where's the best place to sell the leftover axles, 176 transmission and 360?
6. I'm going to replace seals and gaskets on engine, transmission and transfer case. Is there anything in particular I should be looking for or doing while I'm in that process? I've already been advised to up the oil pump capacity to high volume. Planning on changing the impellers to accomplish this. Anything else?

Thanks in advance
'81' J10 w/all the good same year J20 stuff

Stuka
Site Admin

Re: J20 running gear to J10 advice

Post by Stuka »

1: J20 springs won't lift the J10 at all. They are just stiffer. The Skyjacker springs will work well though.
2: The axles will more or less bolt in.
3: The axle housings are different. Thicker tubes, bigger brakes, and 8 lug outs. Internals are the same though.
4. Neither drive shaft will work if you use the T18/208 setup. Front needs to be way longer, rear needs to be way shorter.
5. Typical used parts sales. Forums, facebook, craigslist.
6. Check the chain in the transfercase. If its stretched, replace it while its out.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

Topic author
j10builder

Post by j10builder »

Thanks Stuka,
Just what I was looking for. Any suggestions on drive shaft sourcing?

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

Lots of places that make drive shafts (Tom Woods, Adams, etc). You could have your stock rear shaft shortened. But depending on your budget, having new ones made would be a good piece of mind.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

derf

Post by derf »

I did a similar axle swap in my J10.

I'm running Skyjacker 4" springs in mine. Plenty of room for 33s. I have 35s and they would rub if I disconnect the swaybar. The ride is comfortable but like any pickup a couple hundred pounds in the back really smooths things out. I plan on adding some airbags in the rear. There are some "universal" kits out there and you'll have to fabricate some brackets to make it work.

I did take the degree shim out of the rear leaf pack. The long wheelbase doesn't need the pinion pointing up so high.

Beyond that, everything Stuka said is good advice.

I wrote up a few things here: http://grimmjeeper.com/TruckNorris/axle_swap.html

Topic author
j10builder

Post by j10builder »

Thanks derf,
Great looking truck and pretty much what I'm going for. That pic gives me motivation like you wouldn't believe.

I tore the engine down and was pleased to find someone beat me too it not many operating hours ago (but it's been longe ago than the 10 years the truck was sitting). Sent the heads out to be freshened up, bought an aluminum intake, painted the motor back to the proper color (someone thought Ford blue would look cool I guess) and bought some a/c mounts for future use. Figured while it's out I'd swap timing chain, alternator, and power steering pump for new as well. I hate being "done" and having to go back in. A couple extra hundred now is worth a day or two labor later to me.

Next I'm trying to decide if I should drop the coin for a Sniper EFI and distributer or just go carb. It comes down to money, of course. That and how much trouble the fuel line and fuel pump requirements would be with a stock front loading fuel tank.

Headers. Do they really up the fuel mileage and performance enough to justify?

Also pulled the top off the T18 and all looks good but I want to replace input and output shaft seals. Any advice on that is appreciated.

I guess the same question applies to the transfer case as I plan on diving in and changing the chain and seals on it too. Is there any difference between the 1/2 and 3/4 T version of the 208AM? tags say the gears are the same.

Thanks in advance

will e

Post by will e »

To answer the EFI question it would help to know what your plans are for the truck. Are you going to daily drive it? Will you be changing altitudes a lot? Do you plan on wheeling it and how hard?

I would avoid headers, they create a lot of under hood heat.
81 Waggy 'WILL E' Retired
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/high steer/Alcan springs/agr box/Borgeson steering shaft/AMC 401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS (2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave, Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37X12.5/Corbeau XRS Baja & 5 point retractable harness/Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 sliders/Evil Twin bumpers, rack and roll cage/WARN 8000/TT Fabworks steering brace/dual batts/custom TC skid plate/ARB fridge

Topic author
j10builder

Post by j10builder »

The truck will be used primarily as ...a truck (boring huh?) not quite a daily driver but used for the heavy lifting/pulling around Stumpy Acres. I'm fighting the urge to put a nice paint job on it (the body really is in great shape) so far. I'd like to take it to the trails every now and then but it's not being built specifically for that purpose.