Vacuum after air pump removal

Modified FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
Bryon

Vacuum after air pump removal

Post by Bryon »

A PO removed the air pump and can from my 89 GW, and now the lime from the brake booster goes to the carb bowl (still via the vent solenoid) and the line from the canister goes to an elbow piece in the front passenger corner of the intake(Edelbrock 4 barrel) and there is a small hose going from there to the carb.

Is this the best way to re-hook the vacuum system without the air pump? There is also an Edelbrock air filter, so there are several lines not used from that that used to hook up to the PCV inlet to the carb. Also, the line from the can does not go to the (HEI) distributor, the line from the distributor goes straight to the carb (4 barrel Edelbrock)

Stuka
Site Admin

Re: Vacuum after air pump removal

Post by Stuka »

The lines you mention actually have nothing to do with the air pump.

The brake booster line needs to either go to the back of the intake (direct vacuum, not through a switch), or on some carbs there is a large port off the base plate. The edelbrock should have it on the front center (The large one). The smaller ones to each side are ported and straight vacuum.

The charcoal canister has three lines on it as I recall. One goes back to the fuel tank, one goes to the float bowl vent (Which many edelbrocks do not have, but it will be by the choke housing if it does), and the other is vacuum I think, but I don't have the diagram handy to look at where it went.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

Topic author
Bryon

Post by Bryon »

So, should I remove the carb bowl vent solenoid? From between the brake booster and the carb?

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

The brake booster should plug straight into manifold vacuum. You don't want anything in line that could negatively impact the functionality of your brakes.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

will e

Post by will e »

A few pictures would probably help. Stuka is correct about the brake line.
81 Waggy 'WILL E' Retired
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/high steer/Alcan springs/agr box/Borgeson steering shaft/AMC 401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS (2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave, Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37X12.5/Corbeau XRS Baja & 5 point retractable harness/Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 sliders/Evil Twin bumpers, rack and roll cage/WARN 8000/TT Fabworks steering brace/dual batts/custom TC skid plate/ARB fridge

fulsizjeep

Post by fulsizjeep »

Do you have to deal with emissions? Maybe this will help.
Flint Boardman
88 GW, 401/727/208, 5" lift, D44s/4.10s/locked up, 35s
https://jubileejeeps.org/quadratrac