79 J10 frame swap

Modified FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
Bmor

79 J10 frame swap

Post by Bmor »

I am currently in the process of tearing down an old rusty 79 J10. I am brainstorming for the rebuild and I know I am going to use a 5.3 swap/4l60e swap. While sourcing engine and transmissions I came across a 2001 chevy Tahoe that is 4x4. The front end is wrecked. They want 1200 bucks for it. That's what I was going to spend on an engine and trans anyways. This got me thinking... Why not just drop the J10 body on the Tahoe frame. I already have the J10 completely disassembled. The Tahoe is wrecked so I can just yank the body off of it.

I looked up the wheel base on the Tahoe, it is 116 whereas the J10 is 120. Am I wrong to think that 4 inches will be easy to compensate for? I've been staring at drawings of the 2 frames all morning and I'm not seeing any HUGE gotcha's yet. I figured a few pair of more experienced eyes may be able to talk me into or out of it.

Thanks for reading!

REDONE

Re: 79 J10 frame swap

Post by REDONE »

Just two thoughts and I'll start with the more subjective if the two:
Every Jeep-onto-some other-frame swap I've seen looks body lifted. It makes sense since the transmission tunnels and suspension arches are vehicle specific, so naturally the body won't hug down on the frame. Also, your going to have to weld body mounts onto the frame, so it's not a big deal if you have to section a piece here it there to make the wheels fit in the fenders.

Second and more objectively, I don't know where you live, but in some places (like Washington i know for sure) it may be impossible it legally register it. I know in Washington it would constitute a "composite or home made vehicle", you would have to have it appraised, buy a "bonded title" for the appraised value. And when I looked at doing it for my pipe dream CheroWaGladabego RV project, the only title company that does bonded titles charged dollar for dollar the appraised value! Depending on where you live it may be easier, and obviously with all the frame swapped vehicles running around there are some not quite legal work arounds. Regardless, is definitely something to look at before investing all that money and effort.
79 J-10 (Honcho Mucho) KE0LSU
304/Performance Fuel Injection TBI/MTA1/SP2P/Magnum rockers
T18/D20/D44s&4.10s/33" Mud Claws
Grizzly Locker Rear
4" front spring drop, 5" rear shackle flip
Chevy style HEI (ECM controlled)
Dolphin "Shark" gauges in a fancy homemade oak bezel
3/4 resto, rotting faster than I've been fixing it.

Nikkormat

Post by Nikkormat »

REDONE wrote:CheroWaGladabego RV project
What on earth?
Gabe, "reformed" Jeep hoarder.

gonensixty

Post by gonensixty »

I'm actually doing the same conversion as we speak.

will e

Post by will e »

gonensixty wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 5:33 pm I'm actually doing the same conversion as we speak.
No your not, you're typing on a keyboard. haha. Just kidding. I see this is your first post. Welcome to the board. There are a lot of great folks here and good information and advice too.
81 Waggy 'WILL E' Retired
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/high steer/Alcan springs/agr box/Borgeson steering shaft/AMC 401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS (2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave, Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37X12.5/Corbeau XRS Baja & 5 point retractable harness/Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 sliders/Evil Twin bumpers, rack and roll cage/WARN 8000/TT Fabworks steering brace/dual batts/custom TC skid plate/ARB fridge

rocklaurence
Vendor

Post by rocklaurence »

Here in Floriday we keep it titled as the Jeep J10/etc and no one is concerned about the frame and engine. Regarding the Jeep body on another frame, it requires channeling the body/bed at certain places to get the body down onto the frame. Ive seen it done with both a Dodge- Chevy frame and if you dont channel the body it sets too high. On the Dodge the channeling was done under the front seats of the cab. On the Chvy it was the bed.

MJMadness

Post by MJMadness »

rocklaurence wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2019 6:43 am Here in Floriday we keep it titled as the Jeep J10/etc and no one is concerned about the frame and engine. Regarding the Jeep body on another frame, it requires channeling the body/bed at certain places to get the body down onto the frame. Ive seen it done with both a Dodge- Chevy frame and if you dont channel the body it sets too high. On the Dodge the channeling was done under the front seats of the cab. On the Chvy it was the bed.
I honestly think it fits fine on the Dodge chassis without channeling anything. It's just that a 4wd Dodge is a considerably taller truck from the factory than a FSJ is. Lower the suspension if you want it lower.

Not channeling anything means you can put the transmission and tcase nicely between the framerails and flat belly it too.