Will a lighter mechanical fan saves gas? NO !

Modified FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
letank

Will a lighter mechanical fan saves gas? NO !

Post by letank »

While shopping at the local recycling yard.... I found this cool lightweight fan by 1/2 lbs CORRECTION 2.2lbs is the total weight DIFFERENCE OF THE FAN AND CLUTCH ASSY.... it is aluminum, installed on a fast car that redline at 5500rpm..... it has more blades.... is smaller by 1", it fits, but not tested as it was borrowed .... A new merco oem clutch fan is $teep $200, but dirt cheap at the junkyard, it is from a merco 560sl, very fancy design with 2 different types of notches on the blade endings, the 450sl has a different shape and is smaller by 2".

Test fit a the yard, lucky me they had an FSJ that day, you will need to bore the center hole of the fan clutch a 1/4"

Last edited by letank on Fri Aug 02, 2013 9:46 am, edited 2 times in total.
Michel
74 wag (349 Kmiles... parked, next step is a rust free body)
85 Gwag (229 Kmiles... the running test lab)

AwesomeJ10

Re: Will a lighter mechanical fan saves gas?

Post by AwesomeJ10 »

I would try that in a minute.

What vehicle did that come from?

ScottsMojo

Post by ScottsMojo »

It will save .0008 miles per gallon... :mrgreen:

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

As far as fuel savings, not much by itself. Takes lots of little things together to make a difference.

If you want to make a difference, get an electric fan. The drag on the engine is quite a bit less than a mechanical fan. Yes there is some drag from the alternator, but its less parasitic loss than a huge mechanical fan. Makes a big difference in throttle response too.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

Topic author
letank

Post by letank »

Blake wrote:I would try that in a minute.

What vehicle did that come from?
560sl, mercedes mid 80's, the 450sl has a 16" fan.

May not save too much gas, but may be less loss of power, after all this is rotating weight. The e fan needs more electrical, and all those german v8s are using mechanical fans coupled with e fan for AC use in stop and go traffic.

Dying to try but it was borrowed.... so when I get it back.... It will be tested and results posted.
Michel

ScottsMojo

Post by ScottsMojo »

So thats a plastic fan blade? That would be quite a bit lighter than the stocker. I ended up using a 7 blade (aluminum blade) fan from a big block cheby with the stock style fan clutch and that combo has worked really well for me. I have zero cooling issues.

Topic author
letank

Post by letank »

ScottsMojo wrote:So thats a plastic fan blade? That would be quite a bit lighter than the stocker. I ended up using a 7 blade (aluminum blade) fan from a big block cheby with the stock style fan clutch and that combo has worked really well for me. I have zero cooling issues.
it is aluminum,

update the price of the fan clutch found it on car parts 4 less, for $45.... ordered one, I may not recover mine.... installed on a friend's vehicle that needed it more than me....and it was a knuckle buster.
Michel

Topic author
letank

Post by letank »

Installed, the clutch needed a little trim, even as being for the same vehicle a 560SL, and little larger hole to fit the nose of the water pump, a 5/8 drill did the trick. Went around a few blocks, let it idle for 10-15 min and the temp is about the same, of course this is not a hot day, but still warm at 64F, this after doing the valve stem seals, so I was more concern about oil leaks...

The fan is standing close to the radiator than the OEM, inside the shroud.

from above

Michel

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

Cool. Will be interested to see how well it works out.
2017 JKU Rubicon

Topic author
letank

Post by letank »

Took it for a longer drive 25 miles round trip. Now that I am not burning 1q of oil every 400 miles... there is more power.
Fan is working well in stop and go traffic, no temp fluctuation even after a steep climb followed by an idle at a stop light, today was in the top 60's, T-shirt day. Engine is overall quieter, I can hear a ticking... time to recheck those headers bolts.
Michel

ScottsMojo

Post by ScottsMojo »

letank wrote:Took it for a longer drive 25 miles round trip. Now that I am not burning 1q of oil every 400 miles... there is more power.
Fan is working well in stop and go traffic, no temp fluctuation even after a steep climb followed by an idle at a stop light, today was in the top 60's, T-shirt day. Engine is overall quieter, I can hear a ticking... time to recheck those headers bolts.
I've the same problem. I ran a flex fan for years. Decided last year to build a shroud and re-install a stock type fan with clutch. Overall noise went down. Decided to install a quieter exhaust, more noise gone. But wait, what are all these new noises I hear?

So, I am now to the point of chasing squeaks, rattles, etc which is good, as its motivating me to replace parts that are worn out or in need of repair.

Topic author
letank

400 miles report

Post by letank »

Took a weekend ride to the far side, the sierras, with some hill climb, as I needed to test the fan as well. Fan is kicking in, and I am not seeing that slight heat surge that stays a little longer. My previous fan and clutch were new 2 summers ago.
As for mileage, 405 miles and 27.2 gallons... Yield over 14.5 mpg which is 2 mpg over the usual. This is higway, freeway and secondary roads.
To follow...
Last edited by letank on Mon Jun 02, 2014 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Michel

Topic author
letank

1000 mile report

Post by letank »

Well did another 400 mile trip and stuck in stop and go traffic with higher ambient temp... well not higher than 80's as we are having a colder than usual season.

Did the hill climb, keeping in 2nd gear with a stop at the top of the 2 mile climb, the temp gauge went a little over another needle width after the run, but went back to "standard reading" within a minute of crawling speed. Mileage is about the same at 14.x mpg... x ! well it is so much nicer not too burn oil after I replaced the valve stem seals that I have been keeping up with the traffic ... a 1000 miles and still have 2/3 oil on the dipstick.
Michel

serehill
Vendor

Post by serehill »

So your're saying that this fan gave you 2 MPG???
1980 Honcho 258 4 speed mostly stock with 4 " lift.

WIP

You know the rude dude from IFSJA

1980 Cherokee wrangled & mangled
MSD complete system
Eddy intake
Holley 650
Comp cam 270H
4" Rusty's
Ramsey 12K winch
Built to drive not sit in the garage.

No longer strangled. I didn't build it for anyone else.
If you can't improve it why waste your time?

Topic author
letank

Post by letank »

serehill wrote:So your're saying that this fan gave you 2 MPG???
This is my best explanation, I do not think that the valve stem seals are the cause of the improved gas mileage. I used for reference the same route between relatively flat highways.

Ideally one should use a more accurate measurement, with a known amount of gas and distance, other conditions such as wind, temperature and humidity can affect the mileage, but going from mid 12's to mid 14's seems real as I never made over 13's with that FSJ 10 years ago when I got it. At that time, I installed new spark plugs, wires, TFI and large cap distributor with fresh oil in engine transmission and TC, and it was not using so much oil.
Michel

Topic author
letank

Re: Will a lighter mechanical fan saves gas? NO !

Post by letank »

And the answer is NO.... on the way to Ouray at 60 mph I averaged 15 to 16 mpg. In Ouray I installed the OEM 19" fan, I had some issue with gas boiling in the tank... and drove back 1200 miles with the stock fan... and average 15 to 16 mpg, I could definitively hear the fan cluctch kicking in even on the highway... it was hot, I even vapor locked between Green River and Price more than once... stopped and waited for the gas to cool... I should have added cool gas in Green River. But even with fresh gas in Price... I had to stop a few times... before being stuck in an unsafe area. I could smell the gas coming out of the tank purge vent... disconnected as it could keep up with the pressure at high altitude.

Having a more spirited drive I drop to 14.5 mpg which is still better than the 12.5 mpg... so is the difference due to replacing the leaky valve seals....

Comments....
Michel

Stuka
Site Admin

Re: Will a lighter mechanical fan saves gas? NO !

Post by Stuka »

Sounds about right. Like I said above, it takes a lot of small changes.

Thing I like most about electric fans is improved throttle response (More important with a manual Trans) and of course, the lack of noise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2017 JKU Rubicon