6 inch lift off road capability

Modified FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
Yogi

6 inch lift off road capability

Post by Yogi »

Anybody ever take their 6 inch spring lift into serious off road situations? Seams like a lot of these lifts end up on pavement princesses. I don't know, maybe that's not the case. Anybody want to report on how theirs did on the trails? I know soa will always do better, but still interested in others experiences with spring lifts.

tgreese

Re: 6 inch lift off road capability

Post by tgreese »

What's your frame of reference? What are you expecting? These Jeeps will go lots of places from the factory. If you want to run high-difficulty trails, I think this is not the platform to chose. If ultimate performance is your goal, the vehicle you start makes the most difference. I'd guess you get most of the performance potential from this platform from a mild lift, larger tires and some rocker protection. Plus whatever traction aids you can add to your current platform, ie selectable lockers or such. Lift is a compromise between more ground clearance (break-over angles) versus a higher center of gravity, less fuel economy, and worse ride and flex.
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.

rocklaurence
Vendor

Post by rocklaurence »

X2-tgrease, For performance I'd say the #1 improvement is Gearing/Lockers. The Second is Bigger tires. I'd be tempted to cut-up the fenders to fit bigger tires than add a Tall Lift.

Topic author
Yogi

Post by Yogi »

Won't be trying anything tougher than the rubicon, to use an example everybody is aware of. And yeah, for ultimate capability I'd be better off with something different, but this will be a multi use wheeler/camper/hunter/road trip/snow rig, hence my choice. Probably in the long run I'll have been better off with less lift, but I do admit, I have a phobia of bashed ro-cker panels, and wanted a good break over angle + sliders. Anyway, just thought I'd throw my line out and see how others have done, bad or good, with this setup.

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

Yogi wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 11:34 am Won't be trying anything tougher than the rubicon, to use an example everybody is aware of. And yeah, for ultimate capability I'd be better off with something different, but this will be a multi use wheeler/camper/hunter/road trip/snow rig, hence my choice. Probably in the long run I'll have been better off with less lift, but I do admit, I have a phobia of bashed ro-cker panels, and wanted a good break over angle + sliders. Anyway, just thought I'd throw my line out and see how others have done, bad or good, with this setup.
I split this off onto its own thread.

As for what you are wanting, I know people that have done the Rubicon with their FSJ's (I don't live far from there). I would highly suggest a spring over. I would not do that trail with a spring lift. You really need the extra clearance and articulation that a spring over gives. You will also want to trim the fenders to fit at least 35's. And of course rock rails, recovery points, regear the axles and put in front and rear lockers. Potentially just put 3/4 ton axles in it for the extra strength.

A spring lift is fine for moderate trails. But going to a trail that is rated a 7-10, you need more than what a spring lift offers.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

Topic author
Yogi

Post by Yogi »

Articulation, or lack thereof, was a concern of mine. I imagine you can get the clearance you need out of a 6 inch spring lift plus what ever else you might toss at it, like body lift or extended shackles with 3 inch block in back (I'm dealing with a rusty's lift with 2 inch blocknin back), and wider axles to deal with the high center if gravity. But even with all that and f/r lockers, the relative lack of flex should be an issue, no?

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

The very arched 6" springs certainly won't flex like the flat springs used in an SOA.

And the spring under up front does hurt ground clearance. Not an issue for moderate stuff, but with rock fields like the rubicon has, it will cause you to get hung up more often.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ