Anyone install a BJs fuel tank that fits in the spare tire..

Modified FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
rmorit01

Anyone install a BJs fuel tank that fits in the spare tire..

Post by rmorit01 »

I am looking for any tips before tackling the installation of the BJs fuel tank that fits in the spare tire area. I didn't see any info in there customer service when I searched.

Curious if anyone had any tips or suggestions? Key areas to watch out for?

Thanks - Bob

hatchwagon

Re: Anyone install a BJs fuel tank that fits in the spare tire..

Post by hatchwagon »

Hey Bob, I am curious if you decided to put in the BJ’s fuel tank. I am interested in it myself and have a few questions.
Hatchwagon
91 GW 6” Lift

cpfeifffer

Post by cpfeifffer »

I just installed one yesterday. No issues.

I did have to re-drill the holes on the front tabs as I didn’t like the spacing that resulted from the original ones. They should just leave the tabs un-drilled.

I also had to modify the tabs on the back due to the tow hitch.

I can take some pictures tomorrow if you’d like.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
1978 Cherokee Chief
5.3L L33, 4L60E, Atlas II 5.0

hatchwagon

Post by hatchwagon »

Thanks cpfeifffer, that would be awesome.

Did you go with the in-tank fuel pump? I am trying to figure out what would be the best option. I do have a fuel injection kit on my 91 and really want to upgrade to the bigger tank.

Also, does it hang down much after installation?

Thanks!
Hatchwagon
91 GW 6” Lift

cpfeifffer

Post by cpfeifffer »

I did go with the Wallbro 255 LPH in tank unit and generic sender unit. It was easy to install.

Only negative thing is that I had to clean out a bunch of aluminum shavings.

Fuel Filler:

Front View. This is where I had to re-drill the tabs. The original holes would have made the tank touch the rear cross member.

It is about 3-4" below the frame. I haven't installed the hitch yet but the tank doesn't hang down any more than the hitch.

Clearances:

Side View:
1978 Cherokee Chief

hatchwagon

Post by hatchwagon »

Thank you for the pics!!! That helps a lot!

Honestly it looks better built than I imagined, and I’m going to go ahead and do the same pump.

By the way your rig looks super clean. That frame is spectacular
Hatchwagon
91 GW 6” Lift

1979bettywhite

Post by 1979bettywhite »

Thanks for the pics. Have been thinking about one of these for a while to get rid of the poly tank. Nice to see what one looks like installed.

I agree frame looks great. But that FJ next door, whew, nice rig you got there. Especially like it with the prior BFGs.

Is that a locker cable hanging down under the D44?

cpfeifffer

Post by cpfeifffer »

The FJ is my brother’s. I keep harping on him to get it running. Needs a tune up and some TLC and it should be ready to rock.

Yeah, that cable is for the ox locker. I am trying to figure out how to strap it all down.

1978 Cherokee Chief

Laredo Matt

Post by Laredo Matt »

cpfeifffer wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 5:05 am I just installed one yesterday. No issues.

I did have to re-drill the holes on the front tabs as I didn’t like the spacing that resulted from the original ones. They should just leave the tabs un-drilled.

I also had to modify the tabs on the back due to the tow hitch.

I can take some pictures tomorrow if you’d like.

Great thread...thanks for the pictures cpfeifffer.

I'm mocking my tank in today and have a few questions for you on fitment. Never done this before so not really sure what it should be. I just assumed it would be level...until I put a level on to learn it isn't.

1. Fully installed, does your tank have a forward rake? It is hard to tell from your pictures but mine certainly does.
2. The frame rail, starting at the rear cross member moving forward, does slope downward for 6-8" before turning upward going toward the axle cross member. To get the tank to mount flush with the rail, it pulls the back of the tank higher causing rake.
3. You clearly didn't have to use spacers to try and level so is it normal for a tank not to sit level? Never installed a tank before so not really sure.

My garage floor has a slight slope for drainage but minimal compared to the forward slope of the tank. I know the frame is what it is so just trying to understand any impact to performance ie. is there some amount of gas that will be carried low in the front of tank and not usable as the level gets low given the pump is in the center of the tank? If so, how much would that be?

Here are a few pictures of the tank mocked in.

Front mounts clamped to cross member, rear strapped in place. you can it's a pretty good slope

Rear mounts not sitting flush to frame rail yet. The forward most part of the rear mount is touching the frame. I'm sure the aluminum will move some and lay flat when I tighten it down, did yours also mount the same?

natural rake of frame seems about the same as the tank. This is on top of the rear shackle mount just forward of where the rear of the tank will mount to the frame rail.

Matt
83 Cherokee Laredo WT
L8T 6.6L, 6L90
GEN III LS Swap (LM7 block)
4L60E

cpfeifffer

Post by cpfeifffer »

Matt,

I wasn’t too concerned with the slope of the tank. I was more concerned with the clearance of the body and surrounding suspension.

My frame obviously went down when the body was installed and the angle continues to change as I install seats, windows, etc. I may have overlooked this as an issue to be aware of but so far it hasn’t been a problem.

Other items for consideration since my last post:

1. The tank makes it difficult (not impossible) to install the BJ’s hitch. Do all your pre-drilling and mock up before you do the final install on your tank. I had to notch the hitch for the fuel tank bolts.
2. Pay attention to polarity on the fuel pump when hooking it up otherwise you’ll have to replace it.
3. I had hoped that this tank would magically alleviate the slow fuel fill issue but it is still there. I haven’t messed with the filler neck to troubleshoot though.

Hope this helps!

1978 Cherokee Chief

Laredo Matt

Post by Laredo Matt »

Thanks Charlie.

I don't mean to imply it is an issue, I have no idea. Being this is my first time, just feel like a good idea to check to see if/how others have already done it before drilling holes and locking things down.

It makes sense as you load the front more there will be some additional drop on the front end.

I too don't want the tank rubbing on the frame rails/rear cross member. I was going to just run a strip of rubber along the rear cross-member and side rails and set the tank a bit further back than your install to avoid having to drill the front tabs. I like your approach. The holes (2 of the 4) in the tabs don't quite align with the pre-drilled holes in the cross member. I will have to enlarge the holes in the tab anyway so may just put further forward and drill all new mounting holes. Agree, would be nice if they left it to the owner to drill holes for the front tab.

matt
Matt
83 Cherokee Laredo WT
L8T 6.6L, 6L90
4L60E

cpfeifffer

Post by cpfeifffer »

Matt,

One other thing - installing the wiring between the driver and passenger side for the tail lights is a little tight. Make sure you leave a little room for that between the back crossmember and the tank.

Good luck!

Charlie

1978 Cherokee Chief

CoconutFiasco

Post by CoconutFiasco »

There is an alternative to the BJs tank- I purchased and installed a tank from Aerotanks and I have been very happy with it- fairly easy to install. IT fits right in the spare tire area. It was a good bit less expensive than the BJs one, even with a few add ons. Baffled tank, and I had a sending unit installed and a nice bracket for the fuel pump for around 800 total. It was supposed to be less but something about the price of steel, and a shortage of delivery drivers or something. Hope this is helpful.

https://www.aerotanks.com/vehicles/jeep.html
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

BaldBeardedBastard

Post by BaldBeardedBastard »

I installed one of these tanks for my diesel build. No issues with fitment. I will get some pictures this weekend.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

'86 GW Cummins 2.8/4l60E. Hopefully bouncing down a dusty road somewhere.
Build Thread

Laredo Matt

Post by Laredo Matt »

BaldBeardedBastard wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 11:48 pm I installed one of these tanks for my diesel build. No issues with fitment. I will get some pictures this weekend.

Thanks BBB. Got mine installed a few days ago. Was side tracked with trying to get the new engine in, brake lines and ton of other little things that keep coming out of the weeds.

I ended up welding the nuts to the frame so removing it would be a breeze in the future. Also added rubber gaskets between the aluminum mounting brackets and frame to dampen a bit. Had some laying around.

Still have quite a bit to do. Will need to pull the tank to give it a good cleaning once I get the fuel pump all figured and everything mounted.
Matt
83 Cherokee Laredo WT
L8T 6.6L, 6L90
4L60E

BaldBeardedBastard

Post by BaldBeardedBastard »

I like that idea with the rubber gaskets- got any pics? Here are a few of the one I have installed just to follow through with what I said-ImageImageImage

'86 GW Cummins 2.8/4l60E. Hopefully bouncing down a dusty road somewhere.
Build Thread

Laredo Matt

Post by Laredo Matt »

BaldBeardedBastard wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 4:19 pm I like that idea with the rubber gaskets- got any pics? Here are a few of the one I have installed just to follow through with what I said

you've got plenty of space between the tank and rear cross member. Did you drill new mount holes on the front tabs to get that fitment?

nothing fancy on the rubber

Matt
83 Cherokee Laredo WT
L8T 6.6L, 6L90
4L60E

Txflyer16

Post by Txflyer16 »

CoconutFiasco wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 5:48 am There is an alternative to the BJs tank- I purchased and installed a tank from Aerotanks and I have been very happy with it- fairly easy to install. IT fits right in the spare tire area. It was a good bit less expensive than the BJs one, even with a few add ons. Baffled tank, and I had a sending unit installed and a nice bracket for the fuel pump for around 800 total. It was supposed to be less but something about the price of steel, and a shortage of delivery drivers or something. Hope this is helpful.

https://www.aerotanks.com/vehicles/jeep.html
Can you post pics of your installed Aerotank please? Interested to see how it looks and how low it hangs. Thanks.
'81 CJ-5
'93 XJ
New project '79 J-10
Looking for a Waggy