Door fiment issues

Modified FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
Laredo Matt

Door fiment issues

Post by Laredo Matt »

I've been doing body work on my 83 Laredo for the last 6-8 weeks...prime, sand, repeat...I know a lot of you have been through that and I'm so ready to be done :banghead: There is light at the end of the tunnel though. Still more to do but getting closer.

I decided to try and test fit the doors to make sure there were no issues before I do get to color. Passenger side is great. Set in place and adjusted and only took about an hour. Gaps good, body lines all perfect etc.

Driver side is a killing me. No luck so far. I've spent hours adjusting and still can get it right. Swigs freely, no biding but can't get gaps. Always pinched or close somewhere. I recall the fit being right when I bought it so assume it's just me.

After many hours, I measured jam width on passenger side top and driver side. Driver side door gap is about 1/8" narrower. Has anyone had similar issue or seen similar difference?

I'm gonna keep working it and realize it's probably just me but this thing is driving me nuts and I'm working alone which complicates it more.

Want to make sure I get doors set with proper gaps so I can lock the hinges in place and spray with the body. I don't plan on ever removing the hinges again once they're set! As long as I know the doors will adjust to fit properly. If I need to do any fab to change things I want to know now.

thanks!
Matt
83 Cherokee Laredo WT
L8T 6.6L, 6L90
GEN III LS Swap (LM7 block)
4L60E

FLeetFox

Re: Door fiment issues

Post by FLeetFox »

I spent hours on this as well. I mocked up before paint, and then after paint, and then again after weatherstrip. I would test fit with the new weatherstrip before paint as well.

Truth is, these trucks were not robot welded, so there is a lot of variation from unit to unit and even side to side. Add in to the equation that vehicles from this time period were not known for their excellent build quality or fit and finish.

All I can offer is my moral support. I'm pretty type A, and there came a point where I just decided to live with some of the imperfections.

I was just thinking that the pass side door on the AMC Pacer was designed longer than the driver's side...maybe....

Fleet Fox
I do things my way, and I pay a high price.... JCM

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

1/8" difference side-to-side does not seem particularly shocking to me.

Not an expert at this topic - but I've seen the body guys push doors around with 2x4s levers to get them to line up. It's a skill that can require some caveman action sometimes. Is it the margin or the door frame that does not line up? If the door plugs the opening and latches without interference, I'd say you're good. You could grind down the edge of the outside lip if that's what's needed to make the gaps right.

Also the guys at the autobody101 forum have been friendly and helpful to me. This is not an issue restricted to Jeeps.
Last edited by tgreese on Thu Jul 22, 2021 9:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.

itselliott

Post by itselliott »

I also have issues...78 J20 I found that without new gaskets from BJ's the doors were perfect. then after gaskets it was all askew. I found smaller bulb diameter gasket material 3/8" vs 5/8" and now I am much happier ( still not perfect but acceptable.)

Topic author
Laredo Matt

Post by Laredo Matt »

Thanks for all the replies.

I'm still at it. Making some progress but am also a type A and like things done right. I do understand tolerances back in 83 were much different than what they are now so am willing to live with some things that I would like to be better understanding I don't have the skills to make them perfect.

I have dome some 2x4 experiments but am loath to start grinding. Simply because if I break a seam or something my welding skills are mediocre at best and I don't want create more problems I have to fix.

I've just about got them where I could live with them but have one last thing I'm going to try. Remove door and hinges and switch hinges around a bit. I labeled (tape) driver up/lower and pass upper/lower when I removed them but they all get mixed up during sand blasting. My fault, can't blame anyone else.

If that doesn't help improve anything, I'll get them back to where there are now and call it good...once i get all the weatherstrip and try that I guess. wasn't planned but sounds like something I should do.
Matt
83 Cherokee Laredo WT
L8T 6.6L, 6L90
4L60E

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

itselliott wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 9:09 am I also have issues...78 J20 I found that without new gaskets from BJ's the doors were perfect. then after gaskets it was all askew. I found smaller bulb diameter gasket material 3/8" vs 5/8" and now I am much happier ( still not perfect but acceptable.)
Yeah, everybody has issues with their door gaskets. They are way too thick and prevent the doors from closing properly. I even trimmed dem down some, and never got them to really work properly.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

Topic author
Laredo Matt

Post by Laredo Matt »

Stuka wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 12:14 pm
itselliott wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 9:09 am I also have issues...78 J20 I found that without new gaskets from BJ's the doors were perfect. then after gaskets it was all askew. I found smaller bulb diameter gasket material 3/8" vs 5/8" and now I am much happier ( still not perfect but acceptable.)
Yeah, everybody has issues with their door gaskets. They are way too thick and prevent the doors from closing properly. I even trimmed dem down some, and never got them to really work properly.
It seems like BJs is the best source for a complete set. I'm leaning to ordering from them. Are there others?
Matt
83 Cherokee Laredo WT
L8T 6.6L, 6L90
4L60E

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

Laredo Matt wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 12:17 pm
Stuka wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 12:14 pm
It seems like BJs is the best source for a complete set. I'm leaning to ordering from them. Are there others?
Someplace on here, somebody found a set that fits perfect. I dont have time right this moment to dig it up. But if you search, you may find it. Was from like two years ago.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

Topic author
Laredo Matt

Post by Laredo Matt »

Thanks Stuka. DId a quick search and came up with Team Grand Wagoneer, a kit from Walmart with part number and Bjs. I'll have to do a more thorough search and read the entire threads to see if I can find the post you are referencing. One more thing to do!
Matt
83 Cherokee Laredo WT
L8T 6.6L, 6L90
4L60E

itselliott

Post by itselliott »

Topic author
Laredo Matt

Post by Laredo Matt »

going to try one last thing...just in case.

doors are off and now going to pull hinges. I put labels on when i took them off but those got taken off during sand blasting and I din't get them back on...doh. Does it matter?

Thought I'd try and move them around and see if I can get a better fit. Once I get the hinges set where I'm happy I won't remove them again. They are going to get painted in place with the body.

Looked in TSM and didn't see anything that would indicated one way or another on hing being specific to driver/passenger. They can all fit on either side so wouldn't see like it but small amounts of adjustment can matter so why not try.
Matt
83 Cherokee Laredo WT
L8T 6.6L, 6L90
4L60E

weeegoneeer

Post by weeegoneeer »

I have an '84, and the rear driver's door is NOWHERE close to being acceptable. The front is a full 1/2" taller than the rear, no amount of hinge finagaling could correct it.

One of the things I like about these rigs - they were made by humans. Doorpull brackets are clearly not level from the factory. Some dude in OH had a bad day. The door ain't perfect - might be a Monday car.

I say do the best you can within your budget.
1984 GW

FLeetFox

Post by FLeetFox »

Maybe this helps a little, as far as the adjustments. The hinges on the cab side are mostly for the in/ out adjustment, to get the doors to sit flat with the body/ fender seams. There is "some" up down adjustment there. Interestingly/frustratingly the middle bolt deep in the hole affects the adjustments the most. At this point you probably have realized, the "plates" inside the door itself are going to give you the majority of the up-down and side-side adjustment. Really it's just a time suck process, but goes easier with a pack of wood shims and and extra set of hands and eyes.

Prob not helpful, but i just thought I'd put this out there.

Fleet Fox
I do things my way, and I pay a high price.... JCM

Topic author
Laredo Matt

Post by Laredo Matt »

FLeetFox wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 9:10 am Maybe this helps a little, as far as the adjustments. The hinges on the cab side are mostly for the in/ out adjustment, to get the doors to sit flat with the body/ fender seams. There is "some" up down adjustment there. Interestingly/frustratingly the middle bolt deep in the hole affects the adjustments the most. At this point you probably have realized, the "plates" inside the door itself are going to give you the majority of the up-down and side-side adjustment. Really it's just a time suck process, but goes easier with a pack of wood shims and and extra set of hands and eyes.

Prob not helpful, but i just thought I'd put this out there.

Fleet Fox
appreciate it fleet fox. I have observed all of those same points. Still finesse and patience are clearly required. Not exactly how I'd like it to fit top to bottom and depth. Each door is off a bit somewhere but I can live with it for now. Mounts are set, doors are back off and back to block sanding and body working in prep for paint....some day!
Matt
83 Cherokee Laredo WT
L8T 6.6L, 6L90
4L60E