My speedhut gauge install

Stock FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
JeepsAndGuns

My speedhut gauge install

Post by JeepsAndGuns »

Just finished installing my speedhut gauges. I am very happy with them. Quality is top notch. Made in the USA and a lifetime warranty.
For a long time I have been wanting new gauges. The factory speedometer was the only gauge left in the factory cluster that was still working. All the others had been replaced by cheap parts store gauges screwed to the underside of the dash. I had also installed a tach with a large hose clamp to the steering column. Not pretty, but they worked. I first saw a quad gauge several years ago and loved it. I said to myself, I could replace the factory gauges with a new matching speedo, tach, and quad in the factory clusters 3 holes. It was not until recently I was in a position financially to be able to do it.
So my search started for some gauges. Since I have installed fuel injection, and already had a speed sensor, so it made sense to ditch the speedo cable and go all electronic. My initial search on summit and jegs did not find anything I was really happy with. Most of the spedos and tachs were ok, but I did not care much for the quads, then the fuel level was not gonna be right. While searching on google, I stumbled across speedhut. I had never heard of this company, but browsing their site, I almost instantly fell in love. I was blown away by the near 100% customability. You can pick the face color, number color, the pointer needle, the font, the tick, and even what color it glows at night. No bulbs, the night illumination uses ectroluminescence, very cool. They also said they can do custom fonts and usually match many factory fonts.
So with a few email exchanges, confirming they can do a custom job, I placed my order. I sent them a picture of my stock speedo and they went to work. They will make a picture preview of the gauge and email it to to. Then you go back and forth telling them yes, no, change this, etc.. and they keep at it until you are happy. It only took them a few attempts to get everything exactly how I wanted. I had them model the tach and quad font after the stock speedo font.
Install was not to hard. I bought a used cluster bezel and simply cut and sanded the backside smooth, I then mounted the gauges in the stock holes. The gauges are held into place by a large plastic nut on the backside. The gauges are really shallow. I couldn't believe how thin they were. Wiring was straight forward. They came with the required oil pressure and water temp senders (that replaced my stock ones perfectly), more than enough wiring for them. The connectors are waterproof, and the wires are a nice wrapped cable (kinda looks like a small extension cord) There was enough cable for the fuel sender to go all the way to the back of my jeep to the fuel tank. One nice thing about the speedhut fuel gauge, is its programmable to any fuel sender. I purchased another sender online and used it to program the gauge. You simply hold it at full, set it, then hold it at empty and set it. You now have a accurate gauge for your sender!
I bought the speedo that had the turn signal and high beam LED's in it. Simply wire in the stock wires for those. They come with a harness that connects all 3 gauges together and powers them all. Simple switched power and a ground. They all run through a single 3 amp fuse. Instructions say each gauge pulls about .2 amps. That's barely anything! They also come with another harness and a inverter to power the nighttime ectroluminescence. Simple power and ground for it. I just tied it into the stock dash lighting wire. It also comes with its own dimmer switch.
Tach is programmable for about any engine/ignition system. It was already preset for a V8, so I didn't have to touch it. I went with a 0-6000 tach, as I never rev above 4k, and my rev limiter is set at 4800, so I saw no point of having a tach that goes to 8k or higher. Speedo is programmable for about any speed signal and pulse count. Simply use a GPS or another car with a accurate speedo, drive to a specific speed that you can pick in the menu, and then push the button. It then saves it and your done. You can reprogram at any time. So if you get new tires, change gear ratios, etc.. it only takes a few min to reprogram it.

Now for some pics. I used a couple LED's I got from the parts store as warning lights. The amber one is my check engine light, the red one is parking brake.

Closeup showing the gauge font:

To compare, here is a closeup of my stock gauges.

Last edited by JeepsAndGuns on Sun Dec 05, 2021 7:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
79 Cherokee Cheif. MPFI 401, T18/D20, hydroboost, otherwise stock.
93 YJ. 4.0, 5 Speed, SYE, hydroboost, WJ knuckles/brakes, 8.8 rear, OME 2.5in lift, warn M10000 winch. 31x10.50's
99 WJ limited. 4.0, auto, 2wd, stock.

will e

Re: My speedhut gauge install

Post by will e »

They did a great job matching up the gauge font and look.

Did you use your standard speedo cable? I thought all of their speedo's were GPS.
81 Waggy 'WILL E' Retired
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/high steer/Alcan springs/agr box/Borgeson steering shaft/AMC 401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS (2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave, Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37X12.5/Corbeau XRS Baja & 5 point retractable harness/Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 sliders/Evil Twin bumpers, rack and roll cage/WARN 8000/TT Fabworks steering brace/dual batts/custom TC skid plate/ARB fridge

Jtruax3

Post by Jtruax3 »

Look awesome!

serehill
Vendor

Post by serehill »

Holy cow that doesn't look good at al!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:shock: :shock: :shock: That looks AWSOME
1980 Honcho 258 4 speed mostly stock with 4 " lift.

WIP

You know the rude dude from IFSJA

1980 Cherokee wrangled & mangled
MSD complete system
Eddy intake
Holley 650
Comp cam 270H
4" Rusty's
Ramsey 12K winch
Built to drive not sit in the garage.

No longer strangled. I didn't build it for anyone else.
If you can't improve it why waste your time?

surfwagoneer

Post by surfwagoneer »

That looks great. I'll have to keep this in mind when I get around to guages. By the way what size guages fit the stock bezels?
89 GW- Rebuilt 360 w RV camshaft, 4 inch Rustys spring lift, 1" body lift, dana 44HD front, 14 bolt rear 3.73's.
78 Cherokee Chief- work in progress

Topic author
JeepsAndGuns

Post by JeepsAndGuns »

will e wrote:They did a great job matching up the gauge font and look.

Did you use your standard speedo cable? I thought all of their speedo's were GPS.

No, I ditched the stock speedo cable. This speedo is electronic, I tied it into the speed sensor I am using for my fuel injection. It used to mount inline between the t-case and the cable. But now with the cable gone, I have just the speed sensor on it.
Speedhut offers two types of speedos. They have electronic ones that work with pretty much any speed sensor, and then they also offer a GPS speedo that does not require a speed sensor.

surfwagoneer, these are 3-3/8 gauges.
93 YJ. 4.0, 5 Speed, SYE, hydroboost, WJ knuckles/brakes, 8.8 rear, OME 2.5in lift, warn M10000 winch. 31x10.50's

will e

Post by will e »

Ah, okay. I could swap my cable for a sensor to make it work then.

I don't like the idea of a GPS speedo.
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/high steer/Alcan springs/agr box/Borgeson steering shaft/AMC 401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS (2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave, Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37X12.5/Corbeau XRS Baja & 5 point retractable harness/Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 sliders/Evil Twin bumpers, rack and roll cage/WARN 8000/TT Fabworks steering brace/dual batts/custom TC skid plate/ARB fridge

surfwagoneer

Post by surfwagoneer »

So after seeing how good your gauges came out I found myself playing on speedhut all night. After messing around with a couple different set ups I think the one you came up works the best. Here's a gauge cluster I created, very similar to yours.

89 GW- Rebuilt 360 w RV camshaft, 4 inch Rustys spring lift, 1" body lift, dana 44HD front, 14 bolt rear 3.73's.

j10jim

Post by j10jim »

Here is mine:
1980 J10/20
Rusty's 4" lift, 2" body lift, old Cliffhanger front bumper, 35" tires, 65 dash w Speedhut gauges.
Xtrusion Overland rack system, Tepui tent, 1/2 decked system.

LONG time member of ifsja.org, FSJ-List and some others...

surfwagoneer

Post by surfwagoneer »

J10jim that looks awesome....... Well done

j10jim

Post by j10jim »

Thanks!. Now if I can just get the truck completely back together :)
1980 J10/20
Rusty's 4" lift, 2" body lift, old Cliffhanger front bumper, 35" tires, 65 dash w Speedhut gauges.

will e

Post by will e »

I think I am going to go this route as well. Anyone know which adapter I need to convert my mechanical signal to electronic? There are several available, I want to make sure I buy the right one.

Dusty

Post by Dusty »

Nice job!

All of your dashes look really nice! :-bd
If God is your co-pilot, you need to switch seats!

Topic author
JeepsAndGuns

Post by JeepsAndGuns »

will e wrote:I think I am going to go this route as well. Anyone know which adapter I need to convert my mechanical signal to electronic? There are several available, I want to make sure I buy the right one.
Any VSS will work. The speedhut gauges do not care how many pulses there are, as it simply counts how many it is receiving at XX speed and then saves it during calibration.
I am using #1 from this site, http://www.jagsthatrun.com/Pages/SpeedS ... meter.html
It simply threads onto the speedo output on the t-case. It's actually a inline VSS, and that's how I was using it up until the gauge install. (originally installed for my fuel injection) Now it runs both the speedo and fuel injection with no issues.

Post by 243 »

Jim, do you have any progress photos showing the gauge panel construction?

My plan is to use the same speedo style except with a fuel gauge in place of your tach and oil and water gauges on either side.

What size are you gauges, 4" or 4.5"

1978 Cherokee NT, 5.3/4L60/NP241 in Progress

j10jim

Post by j10jim »

243 I can take a couple of pictures for you. basically it's just plastic sheeting that I had laying around. I cut it to fit. I will snap a couple pics later this week and will get the gauge measurements for you.
1980 J10/20

Iroc313

Post by Iroc313 »

I would also like to know what size gauges these are?

They look amazing.

j10jim

Post by j10jim »

4 inch gauges. I still need to snap some pics of what I did wiring wise. Have been working on the back yard for the last month or so... Hopefully back on the jeep next weekend.
1980 J10/20

Iroc313

Post by Iroc313 »

Awesome!

How long did it take for speedhut to get back to ya after asking for the custom faces?

j10jim

Post by j10jim »

24 hours at most each time I emailed them. Got the gauges in about 2 weeks. Highly recommend them.
1980 J10/20