Slow tailgate glass

Stock FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
Jtruax3

Slow tailgate glass

Post by Jtruax3 »

I'm trying to figure out if it's the switch causing this or what?! I just replaced the motor and the channel slides. It's fast going up but really slow going down,I've also tried it with the glass out and it does the same thing! Anyone changed the switch that had this problem?

shimniok

Re: Slow tailgate glass

Post by shimniok »

Everything lubricated? Channels intact and aligned? Window might be going cockeyed on the way down due to some misalignment or other mechanical issue.

Otherwise, check the power connector underneath behind the bumper... mine was corroded.
Broken Photobucket image in my post? PM me.
'86 GW "Troubled Child" tc.wagoneer.org
360, TBI, 4" Skyjacker, 33" BFG MTs, WT D44+ARB, WT AMC20 + LockRight, CB 2m 6m 70cm, K0FSJ
The world's first Robotic Full Size Jeep!

MadMax78

Post by MadMax78 »

X2 on lubricating the side channels. WD40 makesT a silicone lubricant that should help. They also have a lithium grease spray for the internal gears.
MadMax78

78 Cherokee S, Wide Track, 360, TH400, Quadra Trac, TAD's SOA, 35" BFG KM2, Edelbrock Carb & Intake, MSD Coil & Ignition

Topic author
Jtruax3

Post by Jtruax3 »

Can some tell me what the two brown wires going to a plug are for? Along with another plug that has a purple,red and two orange wires going to? Nothing is plugged into either but they had a wire jumped to each terminal on the brown plug and all taped up. The switch on the dash does the same thing so I guess I can rule out the key switch in the tailgate being bad.

Tatsadasayago

Post by Tatsadasayago »

The dark brown wire runs from the dash to the gate switch and tailgate safety switch to the motor.
1977 Cherokee Chief - The Blair Jeep Project III
A collection of parts flying in close formation

Lumpskie

Post by Lumpskie »

I had the same problem and mine turned out to be worn out side channels. It was hard to see that they were worn out without removing them because the ends were in better shape than the center portions. Because the glass was rubbing against rubber instead of the velvet material, the window would slide down slow. But my motor was strong so it would roll up fairly quick. Here's a post from my build thread on it:
Lumpskie wrote:So, at this point we got everything working: the rear window works, the rear defroster works and the rear windshield wiper works. BUT the rear window would move reeeeaallly slowly. So, per everyone's advice, we took a look at the window tracks. Here's what we found:
One side of the track is totally worn out while the other is in good shape. This gave us an idea:

Final design:

We sprayed everything down with silicon lube and the windows rolls up and down in 3.5 seconds! Thanks guys.
1989 Grand Wagoneer - Rebuilt 360, 2" Alcans, 10" travel Gabriel Guadian shocks.
1996 Land Cruiser - 1HD-T Diesel, Gturbo (23psi), Wholesale Automatics 442f, F/R ARBs, 35" Duratracs, ARB Rear Bumper, OME 2" lift, home built sliders and aluminum belly skid
2000 Honda Civic - Integra GSR engine, transmission, shift linkage and axles, 200hp, 33 combined mpg
2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution 9 - 437hp/447ft-lb

Topic author
Jtruax3

Post by Jtruax3 »

Mine channels have been replaced and I will have to look at the alignment to double check but as of right now there's no glass in it so nothing is touching the channels,that's what's driving me crazy! Lol new motor,I lived the crap out of all the gears and any moving part and it's still doing the same thing from the dash switch or the tailgate switch.

Eldog22

Post by Eldog22 »

Bringing this back from the dead.
Find the solution?
I'm dealing with the same thing. Even without glass installed.

runuover86gw

Post by runuover86gw »

Jtruax3 wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2015 10:21 am Can some tell me what the two brown wires going to a plug are for? Along with another plug that has a purple,red and two orange wires going to? Nothing is plugged into either but they had a wire jumped to each terminal on the brown plug and all taped up. The switch on the dash does the same thing so I guess I can rule out the key switch in the tailgate being bad.
What year and model is it? Typically the orange wires power both the tailgate window motor through the rear switch and jumper off to the defogger timer. I am guessing someone added some wires back there, because I don't know of any of the years that have purple/violet, red and orange in the tailgate. And one place I would check is where the wires exit the tailgate, there are some connectors down there that run to the firewall. Those connectors have a tendency to get very oxidized and corroded. They made need to be replaced or cleaned.
Josh's Classic Custom Auto Electronics LLC, Owner/Founder
https://www.facebook.com/JoshsFSJRelayKits
1986 GW 360/NP229/TF727/Dana 44's
1986 Comanche
1979 Wagoneer Limited 360/Quadra-Trac/Turbo 400/Dana 44's