Turn Signal Switch Replacement - First Timers

Stock FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
razorgrill

Turn Signal Switch Replacement - First Timers

Post by razorgrill »

Ok, Bob, again, thank you! Couldnt have done this without you.

I clicked the blinker to turn right, and it made a funny "click." I continues with my turn, and the steering wheel caught in the turning position. Yanked it to straighten it out, and booyah. Snap, Crackle and Pop. Horn went all crazy, blinkers stopped working, and they would come on randomly. Lost brake lights. No hazards.

Went to Orielly, snagged a lifetime warranty part, 27.99, after my battery return core charge, and 5.00 off coupon, coupled with military discount, came out to be a whopping 16 dollars and change.

Steering wheel removal requires a tool removal tool. News to me. Quick phone call, and Ii had one in my posession. Thanks Bob!

Disconnect battery.

Pull your horn button. Super easy.

Remove three screws. Super easy.

Remove three more screws. Super easy.

Remove the nut and washer holding the wheel on. Super easy.

Removal steering wheel. Mother of God. The tool is required for this.

Remove shield. Super Easy. Note Position it was removed.

Remove lock plate. Mother of God. There is a little snap ring holding the plate on. The steering wheel puller part number wasnt the same part number required to remove this lock plate. Had to improvise. After multiple attempts trying to keep pressure on the plate to access the snap ring, it came to my to use three pairs of vice grips. Applied pressure to the top, and then two other places evenly spaced out. Allowed enough pressure on the plate to remove the snap ring.

Remove canceling cam.

Remove spring.

Unscrew the hazard button from the assembly.

Remove the screw holding the switch assembly lever.

Remove te three mount screws for the switch. One screw can be accessed by "clicking" the blinker left if I remember correctly.

Disconnect wiring harness under steering wheel. Slowly start pulling the assembly out and carefully feeding the harness up through the steering column.

Now once you get the harness out, BE CAREFUL! Dont just yank it out once its finally free of the column. There is one wire attached to the inside of the column, Light Blue (may look white depending on how much sun its had) that is also attached to the harness. Use a little jewelers screwdriver to put pressure on the prong inside the top side of the harness to slide the wire out. I believe the wire is for lighting in your gear indicator. I may be mistaken.

INSTALL.

Connect that light blue wire to te harness. Goes next to the very last wire.

Place the wiring for the harness back inside the protective shield and carefully route it back through the column.

Carefully align the signal switch to the mount holes. It will take a finagle or two. The hazard button mount has to fit through the hole on the right of the column. You will see two springs facing you. One on the bottom. One on the right. You'll know you got it in the correct way if you see these springs, and the mount holes are lined up.

Install the three mounting screws. I believe its 28 in lbs.

Install the spring.

Install canceling cam.

Install the lever and the screw. May be a little deceiving, as it looks like it wont fit into the slot on the switch. The screw sinks in nicely into the slot once its tightened.

Now, here is the trickey part! Installed the lock plate. I had to take a pare of vice grips to pull the shaft back out a little. It had somehow sank in a little on me. Once you have your lock plate aligned, only fits on one way with the canceling cam rod and with the teeth on the shaft.

Place the snap ring into position, once its close enough the slot its clicks in to, press on the lock plate, may need to pull on the shaft a little, and get one side started in the grove and work your way around until its clicked into place.

Install shield.

Install steering wheel. Mine took quite a bit of force to "lock" it back down. Also, has to align with your plastic shield you just installed.

Install washer and nut.

Install horn ring.

Install horn button.

Connect wiring harness.

Screw the hazard knob back on.

Odds are, replace a few fuses.

Connect battery.

Ops check. LT Blinker, RT BLinker, Hazards, Brake lights. Horn. Sweet! Now you dont have to sell your Jeep out of frustration.

Hope this helps anyone taking on the task.
Last edited by razorgrill on Mon Jun 23, 2014 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Matt N.

1978 Jeep Cherokee S (Fully Documented)

2009 Suzuki Hayabusa (Sold) (Lowered 3" R 2" F, K&N Intake, Header Back Alien Head II Exhaust, TRE Mod, Power Commander w/ Race Map, VP Race Fuel)

2013 Nissan Maxima (1 Owner, New Car Smell)

And When He Gets To Heaven, To St. Peter He Will Tell; One More Soldier Reporting Sir, I've Served My Time In Hell.
D-Day - June 6, 1944

serehill
Vendor

Re: Turn Signal Switch Replacement - First Timers

Post by serehill »

1980 Honcho 258 4 speed mostly stock with 4 " lift.

WIP

You know the rude dude from IFSJA

1980 Cherokee wrangled & mangled
MSD complete system
Eddy intake
Holley 650
Comp cam 270H
4" Rusty's
Ramsey 12K winch
Built to drive not sit in the garage.

No longer strangled. I didn't build it for anyone else.
If you can't improve it why waste your time?

Gumby

Post by Gumby »

Not bad Matt, I would recommend attaching some sort of wire/ string to pull the new harness back into place. Easiest to loosen the column also.
1984 GW 360/727/208.... 4"/ 31"
2004 CRD QC SRW 3500 4X4 (DD)
1983 "project Dubya" (long term)

Topic author
razorgrill

Post by razorgrill »

Dang. I didn't even think if the string method. Good idea sir!

I totally forgot that I loosened the column as well. That I discovered real quick would be the easiest way to remove that harness through that ridiculous column.
Matt N.

2009 Suzuki Hayabusa (Sold) (Lowered 3" R 2" F, K&N Intake, Header Back Alien Head II Exhaust, TRE Mod, Power Commander w/ Race Map, VP Race Fuel)

And When He Gets To Heaven, To St. Peter He Will Tell; One More Soldier Reporting Sir, I've Served My Time In Hell.
D-Day - June 6, 1944

Topic author
razorgrill

Post by razorgrill »

Thanks sere. This is a handy bit of info. Easier than reading the AMC parts book and squinting at the pictures. LOL
Matt N.

D-Day - June 6, 1944

serehill
Vendor

Post by serehill »

Putting the wire back on is easy with the column disassembled no problems. I've done several.
1980 Honcho 258 4 speed mostly stock with 4 " lift.

WIP

You know the rude dude from IFSJA

1980 Cherokee wrangled & mangled
MSD complete system
Eddy intake
Holley 650
Comp cam 270H
4" Rusty's
Ramsey 12K winch
Built to drive not sit in the garage.

No longer strangled. I didn't build it for anyone else.
If you can't improve it why waste your time?

Moosehead

Post by Moosehead »

Huge thanks to OP and the rest of the posters in this DIY thread. Finally got around to replacing a busted turn signal switch and wiring that broke when using the hazard switch. I was intimidated at first, but thanks to this thread it went reasonably well. Harmonic steering wheel puller, steering lock plate tool, and spring clip tool made it relatively easy, as did removing the column shroud, AC duct under the column, and loosening the steering column.
‘78 Wagoneer
401 with street cam, heads, headers, Holley Sniper EFI, rear discs, Alcan springs, Trucklite LED headlights