Have to reseal the NP229 on my 89GW Seal #'s ?

Stock FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
GW Fisherman

Have to reseal the NP229 on my 89GW Seal #'s ?

Post by GW Fisherman »

Need to stop the 89 GW Exxon Valdeez in my drive way. Neighbors are talking and the EPA will be showing up any time. Need the seal #'s if any one has them. I had them at IFSJA but have not been able to access the site so I might as well get and keep them here.
These would be the seals for the 86-91 NP 229. It works fine other wise and I cannot be down long as it is my DD. Taking vacation day's next week to get this done. Will also replace the rear transmission seal while I am in there. Been putting this off for way to long. I also need to relace any bushing and mounts while I am at it. Gonna have about 3-4 day's to get it done.
Never cracked one of these cases so any help is much appreciated.

Thanks,
1989 Grand Wagoneer - Electrified fuel pump, rear air shocks, large cap and rotor. Otherwise stock W/Towing package. Oohs & Aaas as I cruise by...Bonus.

Stuka
Site Admin

Re: Have to reseal the NP229 on my 89GW Seal #'s ?

Post by Stuka »

You can get all the parts from here: http://www.bjsoffroad.com/prod-1220.htm

Oh, and if you are doing a full rebuild, make sure you have lots of assembly lube. The needle bearings are a pain to put in otherwise. And note they will fall out when you pull them. So have something underneath to catch them.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

letank

Post by letank »

There is a felt seal on the output shaft that is not on BJ's schematic, I have the number somewhere, it is a dealer item when I got it... My rear output shaft was still leaking after the replacement so I went to the local jeep dealer... the felt made a big difference. It is now oozing from the shift shaft seal....
Michel
74 wag (349 Kmiles... parked, next step is a rust free body)
85 Gwag (229 Kmiles... the running test lab)

acct21

Post by acct21 »

I know this is a necrothread, but since it kept coming up in my search for the part letank mentioned, thought I'd update it for future reference. BJ's Off Road currently offers it as the "seal washer" -- #52 on the exploded drawing.

The splined washer fits inside the yoke, and once the yoke nut is tightened down this stops the oozing from the yoke. Recommend a thin application of Ultra Black over the top of this, letting it skin over before tightening down the yoke nut.

Crown J8130815

1990 GW with HD towing package -- everything works! (today, anyway)