4wd ignorance

Stock FSJ Tech Area

candymancan

Re: 4wd ignorance

Post by candymancan »

I havent read peoples responses in this thread but the 90 grand wagoneer didnt have a spring in the hubs. And the hubs in the older ones have nothing to do with the 4wd anyway its just a bunch of wheel bearing and races in there.

But ya my 90 had no springs either. All it had was a large round spacer and snap rings and the bearings and nuts ect. When i did my bearing people on these forums seems perplexed by what my dana 44 had inside. I think we found out the veey late year Grands had different parts in the hubs then the older ones.
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9L Limited 219k
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0 I6 laredo 430k
1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer 155k
1976 Jeep J10.. 85k(repaired)

sirrus
Vendor

Post by sirrus »

Same as candymancan - my 88 had a spacer too, that had me surprised when I was taking it apart. Here are internals of the front hub

After some online research I’ve found that later years (starting around 87) were using either springs or spacers. I guess the later the year the higher chance of having a spacer in there

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sometimes we reinvent the wheel not to have more wheels but to have more inventors

1988 Grand Wagoneer - AMC 360 with ProFlo4 MPFI, TF727, NP229 FOR SALE
2021 JLU Willys EcoDiesel - new shiny toy

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

Guys, this thread is a hijack of a thread from 2013. The current question involves a 1979 J20.
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.

sirrus
Vendor

Post by sirrus »

Sorry about that, I confused that thread with a different one. Need to remember to read couple posts back before replying

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sometimes we reinvent the wheel not to have more wheels but to have more inventors

1988 Grand Wagoneer - AMC 360 with ProFlo4 MPFI, TF727, NP229 FOR SALE
2021 JLU Willys EcoDiesel - new shiny toy

candymancan

Post by candymancan »

Doesnt matter.. When people do research on google ive come accross threads that were ressurected and actually helped me in my search. Now that sirrus posted a pic of the internals we have a refference point to come back too for the late year dana44s on these Jeeps

Topic author
NoLaFSJ

Post by NoLaFSJ »

Agreed candymancan... Hopefully this answers the original question for someone else down the line...

On the spring/no spring in dana 44 front hub topic, the picture that sirrus posted is exactly what was in my front hub assemblies in my '90 GW. Spacer, no spring. I put it back together the way they came apart and they work fine.
Brian

1990 Grand Wagoneer

carnuck

Post by carnuck »

Seems like the spacer doesn’t the same thing. The spring was just to keep in case someone went to manual hubs. The last few years were Chrysler ones so the bean counters wanted just a little less expense.
Check my parts for sale near Seattle

tigger4x

Post by tigger4x »

carnuck wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 9:52 am Seems like the spacer doesn’t the same thing. The spring was just to keep in case someone went to manual hubs. The last few years were Chrysler ones so the bean counters wanted just a little less expense.

Both the spacer and the spring so the same thing ... keep the drive gear towards the outer end if the axle shaft.

I never did find where the larger split rings would go so they must be from something else. Lord knows what. But I did find out that the spring cups are on both the 6 and 8 lug hubs. I couldn't find them at my local McParts stores, but I finally found em at BJs Off Road. Once again I got great stuff and excellent customer service. The USPS however moved like molasses in winter. Ah well, they're back together and the beat goes on.

candymancan

Post by candymancan »

fulsizjeep wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2013 2:16 pm The only transfer case available in 1990 GW was the New Process 229. It is considered a part time transfer case so you have 2wd HI, 4wd HI, Neutral and 4wd LO shift options. It uses a vacuum switch under dash to select 2wd/4wd then uses a flag shifter on the left side of tranny hump to shift HI, Neutral and LO. The vacuum shifter uses a lockout and tcase HAS to be in 4wd to select other than HI range. In 4wd HI range, the tcase uses a viscous coupler (limited slip) to regulate power to front and rear drive shafts. Never run this tcase in 4wd HI with one drive shaft removed or with manual hubs on front axle unlocked. In 4wd LO range, the viscous coupler is locked for equal power to both front and rear drive shafts. All FSJs equipped with the NP229 had drive slug/gear in the front hubs so the front drive line spins all the time. You should have two big coil springs, one in each front axle hub behind the drive gear.

sample of front hub:

directions for shifting tcase is in this 89 owners manual:
http://oljeep.com/gw/89_GW_OwnersManual ... Manual.pdf

NP229 Manual:
http://oljeep.com/np229/NP229_manual.pdf

That should get you started.

Thought the 229 was full time 4wd. Part time 4wd cant be driven on dry road nore can it be shifted on the fly like that.

Like the XJ command trac that one is part time. The 229 is a select trac like the 242 minus the viscous coupler. Both are full time when in 4hi.

I also read the 229 needs to be shifted to 4wd occasionly and driven to stretch the legs of the viscous coupler

carnuck

Post by carnuck »

There is 3 systems in play. Part time means aside from slippery surfaces there is no give between front and rear driveshafts. Both spin at the same rate of speed until something Slips (tires usually) or breaks from being wound up on good traction surfaces.
Full time means any surface unless in Edrive then they become like part time 4x4.

The ability to switch 4wd to 2wd or from 2wd to 4wd and have it Edrive type locked or unlocked with or without hubs is Selectrac because you “select” what system you need.
Check my parts for sale near Seattle