Fuel Delivery Issue (carb gurus needed!)

Stock FSJ Tech Area

serehill
Vendor

Re: Fuel Delivery Issue (carb gurus needed!)

Post by serehill »

Just so you know it is a fluke of these systems if the choke wire comes off & shorts to anything your jeep will be a Roman Candle & burn to the ground that circuit is unfused.

It still sounds like a fuel delivery problem square one. The bowel could have filled after the starvation incident. I would bet the PV is internally vented. Pictures would be a great help to correct course & ensure you get the best help. Especially if you had a stopped up system & the pressure would bleed down. You would have fuel go into the bowel while you were pulling it apart.

Power valve issues are constant & don't vary they are not an issue that would cause it to die completely out.

The power valve allows increased fuel flow at low vacuum to wide open throttle. If it is blown or not working you would have a rich condition at all engine speeds which is opposite of starvation. If the power valve is bad it should smell rich.
1980 Honcho 258 4 speed mostly stock with 4 " lift.

WIP

You know the rude dude from IFSJA

1980 Cherokee wrangled & mangled
MSD complete system
Eddy intake
Holley 650
Comp cam 270H
4" Rusty's
Ramsey 12K winch
Built to drive not sit in the garage.

No longer strangled. I didn't build it for anyone else.
If you can't improve it why waste your time?

Topic author
RWrightPhotog

Post by RWrightPhotog »

The port in question is on the backside of the carb, on the drivers side. Choke stove lines are all hooked up.

Yeah, I read about the choke wire issue in the past.... When I got the Jeep it was just laying on the valve cover :roll:.

Another issue is when I first press the gas, like from a stop sign at idle it has a momentary stumble. I figured it was maybe a mixture issue, but could be part of the overall problem.

As for the bowl filling up after I shut it off, that's certainly possible as there seemed to be some gas seeping around the needle, especially when I gently pressed the float down...

I'll get some pictures up.
-Rob
IFSJA Refugee

1982 Jeep Wagoneer
197* Cherokee Chief
1989 Nissan 300ZX Turbo
1983 Datsun 280ZX 2+2
1980 Yamaha XS1100

letank

Post by letank »

RWrightPhotog wrote:
Another issue is when I first press the gas, like from a stop sign at idle it has a momentary stumble. I figured it was maybe a mixture issue, but could be part of the overall problem.
this is a bit tricky,

1) The accelerator pump (the one on the front of the carb) is leaky or could be put on a richer stop or adjusted, as some of the carb have the possibility of a fine tuning not just bending the actuating rod, you can turn an adjustement screw.... I guess I should take pict as well.

2) Depending on what is left of the smog control system you could have a small air leak... I have a very light hesitation at slightly above idle...
Michel
74 wag (349 Kmiles... parked, next step is a rust free body)
85 Gwag (229 Kmiles... the running test lab)

Topic author
RWrightPhotog

Post by RWrightPhotog »

Haven't had much of a chance to do anything to this, due to work, it's just been sitting in the car port.... But the more I think about it, it seems the only logical conclusions are the fuel pump or and incorrectly set float.... Otherwise it shouldn't be running as decent as it is until it (seems) the bowl goes (close) to empty.

I've got some pictures of the carb, too that I'll try to get up soon.
-Rob
IFSJA Refugee

1982 Jeep Wagoneer
197* Cherokee Chief
1989 Nissan 300ZX Turbo
1983 Datsun 280ZX 2+2
1980 Yamaha XS1100

Topic author
RWrightPhotog

Post by RWrightPhotog »

Actually here's one of the carb I posted in my "build" thread.

Oh, and as for the smog system, pretty much nothing left. Air pump is gone, exhaust manifolds are welded up, vacuum lines down to a minimum. No more CTOs. (I think that's what they're called.) No cat. EGR is there but not hooked up.... Never has been. Seems to be frozen anyway, won't push up. Vacuum line to distributer from carb. Power valve vacuum line now. Heater vacuum line. And PCV to carb. And something like 15* timed. No ping, decent enough gas mileage when I had the Holley on there. Maybe I was getting alright MPGs because fuel pump has always been weak lol. Athough last major trip with Holley was only like 10 MPG, but that was combined, I had always gotten 15 highway.
-Rob
IFSJA Refugee

1982 Jeep Wagoneer
197* Cherokee Chief
1989 Nissan 300ZX Turbo
1983 Datsun 280ZX 2+2
1980 Yamaha XS1100

Crisd

Post by Crisd »

What was the outcome?
Black '88 on shortened Dodge Ram 2500HD chassis
Gray '88 LS ECU swap project
Green '91 all stock except vacuum hose mod