Dome Light Wiring Question

Stock FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
jameshallmodel

Dome Light Wiring Question

Post by jameshallmodel »

Couldn't figure out why my dome light wouldn't work on my 87 J10, until I found the brown/black wire going to the dome light was severed underneath the carpet. Problem is, I don't know how to rewire the severed end back into the harness by the fuse block. I think the brown wire connects to the connector coming from the door jamb switch, but I don't know where the black wire goes?

Any help appreciated.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Topic author
jameshallmodel

Re: Dome Light Wiring Question

Post by jameshallmodel »

I should clarify, the picture is where I THINK the dome light wire should connect to, but I don't know where the other half of the wire should go

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

Have you tried to read the wiring diagram? The diagrams will be in your TSM. Look at the link and there are '86, '87 and '88 diagrams which should cover it. The '86 set looks most complete, and I expect it will be very close to the '87 scheme.
https://oljeep.com/gw/elec/GW_wiring.html
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.

Topic author
jameshallmodel

Post by jameshallmodel »

I have tried reading the OlJeep diagrams and I still cant make much sense of it. The cord coming from the dome light is a double wire, one brown, one black, like an old lamp cord. The end is cut off so I can't tell what type of connector was on it. If someone has a photo of their under dash harness connection that would be great for how it connects near the parking brake
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

78 WIDETRAC

Post by 78 WIDETRAC »

Send me a PM I'll send you some pic of my 89 Grand Wagoneer connection at the dash and where it plugs in at the bottom the door jam / B- pillar and feeds the dome.

The the plug is on the floor pan if you lift up the carpet near the seat belt location, it is usually corroded, That should is where the black and brown wires are headed.
91 Grand Wagoneer
89 Grand Wagoneer
80 Golden Hawk
81 Cherokee