Window / Dash Install question

Stock FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
Laredo Matt

Window / Dash Install question

Post by Laredo Matt »

Maybe a dumb question but .....

When i tore my jeep apart, I determined I needed to remove the windshield before I could pull the dash. There were two reasons I decided that:

1. The window gasket that goes over the pinch weld was partially covering the head of the mounting bolts for the dash and there was a lot of silicon sealer

2. The angle of the windshield created a very tight space between the inner side of the glass and top of the mounting HW.

When I started the job, I didn't have much experience and only basic tools so I think #2 above is not a real problem with the right tools.

I'm still not sure about the gasket covering the mounting HW and getting damaged if windshield is installed first.

It seems odd to me you would have to remove the windshield first to take the dash out. Nothing in the TSM about dash install that would indicated anything so figured someone here probably knows for sure.
Matt
83 Cherokee Laredo WT
L8T 6.6L, 6L90
GEN III LS Swap (LM7 block)
4L60E

SJohn
Vendor

Re: Window / Dash Install question

Post by SJohn »

I did it without removing the Windshield but I sacrificed the dashpad to get to the torx bolts in between the dash and windshield. My dashpad was crumbling apart, so I went ahead and ripped it off the dash, leaving plenty of room to access the torx bolts up there. It may be able to be done without destroying the dashpad but would be insanely difficult. The windshield can be removed easily by cutting the rubber seal if you don't care about saving it.

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk

Owner/Operator/Chief Engineer of Johnson Production FSJ Parts
https://www.johnsonproductionjp.com/

1986 J20 LS Swap
https://www.fsjnetwork.com/forum/viewto ... 12&t=17875

1981 Cherokee Chief - Rustard - 2JZ swap
https://www.fsjnetwork.com/forum/viewto ... 12&t=22981

sierrablue

Post by sierrablue »

I need to put my dashpad in--is it possible to do that w/o pulling the windshield? Frankly I'm not even concerned about bolting it in in the back--I just want the pad in.
'71 Wagoneer (DD)
-B350 (HEI, iron 4-barrel, Edelbrock 1406), TH400, D20
-'74 D44 front (nonpower discs)
-custom headliner
-Front shoulder belts (rears eventually)

viewtopic.php?t=23070

There are 2 major differences between new Wranglers and FSJs. FSJs are meant to be both utilitarian and capable, not just capable. FSJs are also rarely initially recognized as Jeeps by the average American.

Topic author
Laredo Matt

Post by Laredo Matt »

Thanks SJohn. good feedback.

My current situation --

old dash pad gone, modified driver side of dash to fit new gauges and added vent ducts. Painted but no dash pad.

I'm working to get the build to the point it is drivable ie. everything done but interior. I do plan to have interior done at a shop, including leather wrap top of dash but it could be several months between when I'm done and when they they can get it in for interior. I'd like to be able to drive it local while I wait, get some miles on it, test all systems and enjoy it a bit.

Given the dash won't be covered initially, sounds like it should be able to go in / out fairly easily even if the windshield were installed. Have it in and out regularly for test fits, wiring etc. but never tried with windshield.

When I take it across the state for interior I'll likely tow it. Would prefer to have all the glass in to do that. My challenge, the interior shop would like to have the dash mounted, seats in etc. so they can disassemble themselves and will know how to put it back when they are done with done everything.

I suspect the leather wrap will be lower profile than the OE dash pad. If I recall correctly, OE pad is pretty beefy. It would stink if they get it out and wrapped and then go to install and realize they have to get someone to pull the windshield first. Not the worst thing in the world I guess but would definitely add more to the build. Labor to remove and then come back (if it takes two trips) to re-install plus cost of new gasket aren't exactly cheap.

Take away - should be ready and accept that it may have to be pulled if I get windshield installed before interior is done.

SJohn wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 7:20 pm I did it without removing the Windshield but I sacrificed the dashpad to get to the torx bolts in between the dash and windshield. My dashpad was crumbling apart, so I went ahead and ripped it off the dash, leaving plenty of room to access the torx bolts up there. It may be able to be done without destroying the dashpad but would be insanely difficult. The windshield can be removed easily by cutting the rubber seal if you don't care about saving it.

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk
Matt
83 Cherokee Laredo WT
L8T 6.6L, 6L90
GEN III LS Swap (LM7 block)
4L60E