Rear axle bearing numbers amc 20

Stock FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
Longjohn61

Rear axle bearing numbers amc 20

Post by Longjohn61 »

Hi, can somebody give me the numbers for the rear axle bearings so i can order them here in Sweden. It is my daily driver so do not want to take
the axle out and look for the bearing numbers.
There should be 2 numbers so far i can see otherwise correct me, 1 for the bearing and 1 for the race.
I have all the other parts already but not the bearings.

/Niels
1980 Cherokee Chief 4.0L Fuel injected

tgreese

Re: Rear axle bearing numbers amc 20

Post by tgreese »

The wheel bearings? There are a few different bearings in the rear axle.

I have a '74-80 factory parts book that should show your application for 1980, but instead points to a Dana 44 rear axle (not correct).

I suggest you download the 81J parts book from the Tom Collins site and look up the Jeep factory part numbers for the bearings you need. You can then cross those numbers to varous makers like Timken, SKF etc. The RockAuto site will do this for you, generally. Or put in the part numbers for an internet search in Google, Bing, whatever.

If you need help finding the parts in the book, ask. '81-86 parts manual here - https://oljeep.com/edge_parts_man.html
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.

sierrablue

Post by sierrablue »

According to what I read when I was researching the bearings for my D44 rear, the AMC 20s use the same Timken set 10 bearings.
'71 Wagoneer (DD)
-B350 (HEI, iron 4-barrel, Edelbrock 1406), TH400, D20
-'74 D44 front (nonpower discs)
-custom headliner
-Front shoulder belts (rears eventually)

viewtopic.php?t=23070

There are 2 major differences between new Wranglers and FSJs. FSJs are meant to be both utilitarian and capable, not just capable. FSJs are also rarely initially recognized as Jeeps by the average American.

dodgerammit

Post by dodgerammit »

sierrablue wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 8:32 pm According to what I read when I was researching the bearings for my D44 rear, the AMC 20s use the same Timken set 10 bearings.
Yep, if you're wanting the wheel bearings, these are the ones.

There are also inner and outer seals on AMC 20 axles.
I left the inner seal out so the axle gear oil would do the lubrication other than having to repack with grease periodically.
You can do the same, or chose to run both seals and grease the bearings periodically. Neither is wrong.
That said, ALWAYS pack the bearings with grease when installing them the first time.
I believe the SET10s come prepacked.

Here is when I did mine just a few months ago: https://www.fsjnetwork.com/forum/viewto ... &start=120

There should be plenty of pics, a good how-to walk through, and part numbers

Good luck and happy wrenching! :-bd

P.S. edit: BJ's offroad sells what you need and offers international shipping in case you can't find it local. ;)
84 Grand Waggy-Radio Flyer (Garnet Red/3M Ebony Metallic woodgrain, with honey interior) AMC 360 :cry: 2004 4.8LS/Advance Adapter/727/242 D44/AMC20 Serehill tailgate and headlight harnesses :fsj: Ongoing thread-viewtopic.php?t=11897

92 Wrangler Islander 4.0/32RH/231 D30/D35 RHD

sierrablue

Post by sierrablue »

I think I got mine from Rock Auto--I THINK they do international shipping, too; it was literally half the price for me to get the bearings, inner and outer seals, and gear oil than it would've been for me to go into the local parts store to get just the two bearings. I want to support local businesses but I'm not paying $75/bearing if I don't have to.
'71 Wagoneer (DD)
-custom headliner

viewtopic.php?t=23070

There are 2 major differences between new Wranglers and FSJs. FSJs are meant to be both utilitarian and capable, not just capable. FSJs are also rarely initially recognized as Jeeps by the average American.

dodgerammit

Post by dodgerammit »

sierrablue wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 6:58 am I think I got mine from Rock Auto--I THINK they do international shipping, too; it was literally half the price for me to get the bearings, inner and outer seals, and gear oil than it would've been for me to go into the local parts store to get just the two bearings. I want to support local businesses but I'm not paying $75/bearing if I don't have to.
I typically do the same thing. I just know BJ's often ships internationally and forum members do get a discount. :-bd

Tip for Rockauto is to pick everything shipping from same warehouse to keep shipping prices lower. The drawback to Rockauto is, if you just need a small item like a seal or spark plugs, you won't get it cheaper than the local store due to the shipping.
84 Grand Waggy-Radio Flyer (Garnet Red/3M Ebony Metallic woodgrain, with honey interior) AMC 360 :cry: 2004 4.8LS/Advance Adapter/727/242 D44/AMC20 Serehill tailgate and headlight harnesses :fsj: Ongoing thread-viewtopic.php?t=11897

Topic author
Longjohn61

Post by Longjohn61 »

Thanks everybody, looked att tom collins page and downloaded the parts manual.
But now i have the perfect walkthrough for the jobb perfect😃

/Niels
1980 Cherokee Chief 4.0L Fuel injected

sierrablue

Post by sierrablue »

I put the inner seals in, btw, when I did my D44. I figure that way if it leaks, at least it won't probably spray diff fluid everywhere/drain the diff. Also there were some chunks/junk in the tubes from the oil/diff that I didn't want to work their way into the bearings.
'71 Wagoneer (DD)
-custom headliner

viewtopic.php?t=23070

sierrablue

Post by sierrablue »

dodgerammit wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 8:41 am
sierrablue wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 6:58 am I think I got mine from Rock Auto--I THINK they do international shipping, too; it was literally half the price for me to get the bearings, inner and outer seals, and gear oil than it would've been for me to go into the local parts store to get just the two bearings. I want to support local businesses but I'm not paying $75/bearing if I don't have to.
I typically do the same thing. I just know BJ's often ships internationally and forum members do get a discount. :-bd

Tip for Rockauto is to pick everything shipping from same warehouse to keep shipping prices lower. The drawback to Rockauto is, if you just need a small item like a seal or spark plugs, you won't get it cheaper than the local store due to the shipping.
That's all true :-bd
'71 Wagoneer (DD)
-custom headliner

viewtopic.php?t=23070

dodgerammit

Post by dodgerammit »

sierrablue wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 1:50 pm I put the inner seals in, btw, when I did my D44. I figure that way if it leaks, at least it won't probably spray diff fluid everywhere/drain the diff. Also there were some chunks/junk in the tubes from the oil/diff that I didn't want to work their way into the bearings.
That's a good point. I also noticed some trash in the tubes, but used a rag/dowel and wiped them out as well as did a diff service at the same time, so everything should hopefully be clean for a bit. As far as draining the diff, probably not very likely to happen unless you just totally neglect checking the levels during regular service. ;)

sierrablue

Post by sierrablue »

dodgerammit wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 11:36 pm
sierrablue wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 1:50 pm I put the inner seals in, btw, when I did my D44. I figure that way if it leaks, at least it won't probably spray diff fluid everywhere/drain the diff. Also there were some chunks/junk in the tubes from the oil/diff that I didn't want to work their way into the bearings.
That's a good point. I also noticed some trash in the tubes, but used a rag/dowel and wiped them out as well as did a diff service at the same time, so everything should hopefully be clean for a bit. As far as draining the diff, probably not very likely to happen unless you just totally neglect checking the levels during regular service. ;)
I'd have cleaned it better, but I didn't have the carrier out, so there wasn't really a good way to get in there to clean them out.

True, but I have a tendency to not check the diff fluid all that regularly... :roll:
'71 Wagoneer (DD)
-custom headliner

viewtopic.php?t=23070