Lower steering column bushing

Stock FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
AZOutdoors

Lower steering column bushing

Post by AZOutdoors »

Has anyone found a replacement kit for the lower steering column to jacket tube for a Kaiser 1966 Wagoner? I am most concerned about that white bushing. Thought of making one out of a piece of Teflon. I see them listed for newer years, but like most things on the Kaiser's, they are not included in the fit references. Thanks!
IMG_5458.JPG
IMG_5459.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

tgreese

Re: Lower steering column bushing

Post by tgreese »

SUspect you'll have to fab something, or find one from a wreck or part-out. Check the for-sale forums here and at IFSJA for likely sources and inquire/enquire.

McMaster-Carr might have a bushing with the right ID that you could add a spacer to, or fit inside what you have. www.mcmaster.com

My understanding - teflon is hard to machine because it is soft and floppy and moves away from the tools. Plus the material is expensive compared to more conventional plastics. I'd suggest delrin or nylon. Delrin is very often used for bushings and bearings; slippery with a lot of mechanical strength.
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.

SJTD

Post by SJTD »

I agree about using delrin but it looks to me like something's missing there. Hard to believe it wore that much in a nice circle.
Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

Parts book? Should have a picture.

Lists one part 10.346-1 steering gear jacket tube lower bushing 936361. LAW = less adjusting wheel.

If part of it is missing, apparently it's not listed or shown separately.
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Blockchain the vote.

Topic author
AZOutdoors

Post by AZOutdoors »

I was looking at the picture and it shows two items under the 10.346-1 and it looks like that is it? Thanks for that acronym help on LAW:) There had to be some type of bearing or other spacer to take some of the room in there. The hole is probably 50% bigger that the shaft and it sags so much that the lower shaft actually rubs on the frame a bit.
Shaft2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

There is a table of abbreviations at the front of the book. Suggest you locate it for future reference. Ahead of the drawings and after the alphabetical index, IIRC.

Same number means they are the same item in the listing (group 10, item 346-1). Looks like the 230-era part is two pieces, and they are listed separately. The drawing is only accurate enough so you can find the part. Even if they are separable, for post-230 and the old column, the listing indicates you'd buy both parts together under the single part number.
Tim Reese
Blockchain the vote.

sansabarJ

Post by sansabarJ »

This bushing is available on EBAY NOS . Seller is NOS4JEEPS (5702)
from Turkey , yes from Turkey . I bought one for my 72 J4000 from this seller . No complication or issues getting this item . It took about 3 weeks I think to receive it .

SansabarJ

sansabarJ

Post by sansabarJ »

I do have the original bushing from my column should AZoutdoors want it . Pm me with address to ship . I'd ask for 12.00 for shipping only . Part is free .

Sansabar J

Topic author
AZOutdoors

Post by AZOutdoors »

IMG_5619.JPG
IMG_5548.JPG
IMG_5521.JPG
Great find on EBAY Sansabar J! I searched EBAY pretty hard but did not come across that seller from Turkey. I wish I would have seen your post before I decided to make my own (would have saved a lot of trouble). My friend happened to have the exact diameter 2" nylon bar stock so I was able fab it from that. Now I need to figure out the right bearing for the top of the shaft to take out the play.

sansabarJ

Post by sansabarJ »

Good news though you got your bushing made . The nylon bushing will last plenty long instead of the OEM plastic , with more area for shaft support as well .

SansabarJ