Tie rod end rubber washer

Stock FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
Sdsurfer

Tie rod end rubber washer

Post by Sdsurfer »

I have a 1977 jeep wagoneer and I am replacing the tie rod that connects the knuckles. I ordered a new one and one side had a rubber washer like mine old one had but it seems to thick? The other side only came with a boot, not the rubber washer.

Photo attached is my old one.

Anyone know where to find those rubber washer things?

Thank you
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1977 Jeep Wagoneer
AMC 401 engine
Exploring the rest of it…
Located in Houston, TX

tgreese

Re: Tie rod end rubber washer

Post by tgreese »

It's shown in the parts book as a "dust cover" and it's a service part, separate from the tie rod. PN 8124821.
https://www.moparpartsgiant.com/parts/m ... 24821.html This drawing matches the parts book. The usual boot (part 21) is only used from the factory on the drag link, not the tie rod. Suggest you reuse what you have, if it fits the replacement part, or change to whatever boot the replacement part provides.

Kinda think you may not find tie rod replacement parts for that old a Wagoneer. The long rod is a 8124816 at 46.5" long. The short end is a 8124817. Parts from a later Wagoneer are likely different, and may or may not work. Do you have the new part? If so, and it comes with a boot, I'd try to leave out the cover and use the part with the boot as-supplied.

Suggest you buy the parts manual for '74-80, available in print or as CD-ROM (not expensive). That's the best way to find the right parts for these vehicles.
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.

Topic author
Sdsurfer

Post by Sdsurfer »

I do have a new tie rod and it does come with the standard new style boot.

On the linked site you posted I see the parts I need as 15 and 23. If I had a parts book like u mentioned would it tell me what those parts are? I can’t seem to find them on that site.

Thank you
1977 Jeep Wagoneer
AMC 401 engine
Located in Houston, TX

Topic author
Sdsurfer

Post by Sdsurfer »

If anyone is reading this in the future this person did a great job showing everything:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qzyXLgQoc5Q
1977 Jeep Wagoneer
AMC 401 engine
Located in Houston, TX

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

Sdsurfer wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 8:32 pm I do have a new tie rod and it does come with the standard new style boot.

On the linked site you posted I see the parts I need as 15 and 23. If I had a parts book like u mentioned would it tell me what those parts are? I can’t seem to find them on that site.

Thank you
Not sure what you expect. 23 is a "dust cover" as I said and I gave the PN above. 15 is a "plain washer," PN 8124820. If you can't find them by the Jeep Corp PNs then they won't be available as such. The factory part numbers are the best/surest way to get an exact replacement for the OEM part.

I expect this design with the extra parts is peculiar to Jeep and the aftermarket suppliers substitute a part with a more conventional design. You could buy the supposed replacement, and if it does not fit, return it.
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.