Help with Transmission Spacer

Stock FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
ctas

Help with Transmission Spacer

Post by ctas »

I have a 1980 Cherokee Wide track with Mac 360 and 727 trans. I purchased it without an engine installed, but it had a replacement engine in the back. I learned this is a great way to begin a long and seemingly never ending scavenger hunt, which brings me to my current question.

Should I have a space plate between the engine and the transmission. I believe I should and that it is labeled 22 in the attached image; however, the original owner is telling me it doesn't need one. I'm nearly certain they are wrong as part of the bellhousing would be uncovered. I do have the inspection cover labeled #24.

Assuming I need this spacer, I found this one https://www.crownautomotive.net/Clutch- ... 13743.html ; however, it's labeled as a clutch spacer but it looks the same as the one in the parts manual and same part number.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1980 Cherokee Chief Widetrac, amc360, 727, currently building
1988 Grand Wagoneer, amc360, 727 mostly original and passed smog

tgreese

Re: Help with Transmission Spacer

Post by tgreese »

I hear you. Completeness counts for a lot with any project vehicle. That and rust.

The best way to source from the aftermarket is by OEM part number. #22 here is a 3213743. The "J" prefix is incidental, and came after the Chrysler purchase AFAIK. Or maybe after the Renault merger. If the Crown part is labeled with a similar but different number, it's not the same. Should be an easy part to source used.

The aftermarket part is so cheap, an OEM part should be less than half or free. https://www.summitracing.com/parts/cwa-j3213743
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.

Topic author
ctas

Post by ctas »

I ended up purchasing the one from Summit.

Thanks for the help.
1980 Cherokee Chief Widetrac, amc360, 727, currently building
1988 Grand Wagoneer, amc360, 727 mostly original and passed smog

fxtechphx

Post by fxtechphx »

I recently removed and tore down the engine. If you need parts take a look.
https://www.fsjnetwork.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=22900
Tomorrow we may face destiny, we may fight and die and fall to the fires of perdition, but tonight is ours, and we drink and make merry.