turn signal issue

Stock FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
44bz

turn signal issue

Post by 44bz »

I discovered today that my passenger front turn signal is not working correctly and wondering what you all think the issue might be. I have not had a chance to look into it yet. I drove through a construction zone today, had my right turn signal on, but the flagger asked which direction I was turning. I thought this odd, but thought maybe they didn't notice the low mounted turn signals on my 68 (not as obvious as new cars) and I pointed to the right. She waved me through and I continued on. When I got home I checked my signal lights. The rears work in both directions as they should. Front driver blinks as it should. However, when the right signal is activated both front lamps blink dimly. I'm not sure when this started. Anybody had this happen and know what the fix is?
1968 J2000 - AMC 327/T18/D20 (twin stick), stock D44s, 3" body lift, 35x12.50 Goodyear MTRs w/ Kevlar

Stuka
Site Admin

Re: turn signal issue

Post by Stuka »

My guess is that its in the turn signal switch. When you flip it up, both fronts are in contact, instead of just the right front.

You can verify it with a volt meter. The switch goes down the steering column and there should be a plug at the bottom. The TSM should have the pin out. You will probably find both front wires are getting voltage. Most likely dimmer due to a shared ground or something. You can also ohm between the wires. You will get continuity between the 12V input, and the output for each light. But when flipped to the right, you will probably see continuity between three outputs.

If it was a general short between the two wires going up front, it would act the same regardless of which direction you chose.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

Topic author
44bz

Post by 44bz »

Thanks for the explanation Stuka. It's a Flaming River column. Hopefully I can dig into it this weekend.
1968 J2000 - AMC 327/T18/D20 (twin stick), stock D44s, 3" body lift, 35x12.50 Goodyear MTRs w/ Kevlar

Yeller

Post by Yeller »

My guess would be a switch issue as well. If the switch proves to be the culprit it is just a standard late 70’s - early 90’s GM switch. 2 options for a quality replacement, contact flaming river or an AC Delco unit, don’t waste your time with the Chinese parts store switches, I have never been able to get them to work for more than a week if at all.
The bus I ride is so short it is a yellow Smart Car full of squirrels, monkeys and clowns.

1970 J2500 Resto Mod
https://www.fsjnetwork.com/forum/viewt ... 12&t=21395

1974 Bronco “Broncno”
https://classicbroncos.com/forums/threa ... st-3411909