Re-covering sun visors

Stock FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
Tessier

Re-covering sun visors

Post by Tessier »

Two questions about recovering sun visors for an 84 GW:

1. The vanity mirror/light combo - how is it attached to the board? I don't see any screws.
2. Do you know of anyone that will recover these and preserve the vinyl piping on the outer edge? Every auto trim/upholstery shop I've asked has been unwilling/unable to include the vinyl piping.

Okay, 3:

The pivot mechanism has become stiff with age to the point that the board inside bent from the strain of folding them up and down. What is the best practice for reinforcing the center board and lubricating the hinge the pivots the visors up and down?

Topic author
Tessier

Re: Re-covering sun visors

Post by Tessier »

Ended up doing it myself. The vanity mirror pops right off. The vinyl piping was reusable if you are willing to hand stitch using the existing holes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SJTD

Re: Re-covering sun visors

Post by SJTD »

Whuja do to loosen/lube the pivoting? Replacement board? I've got some ABS I might use.
Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

Topic author
Tessier

Re-covering sun visors

Post by Tessier »

SJTD wrote:Whuja do to loosen/lube the pivoting? Replacement board? I've got some ABS I might use.
I didn’t make any changes to the internals. It was all in good shape. I should have ironed or straightened the passenger side board. I did spray some lube in there, but it didn’t really help.

I just recovered them and resewed the piping.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk