Today's what the .... moment

Stock FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
Moparmikeo

Today's what the .... moment

Post by Moparmikeo »

While replacing the front brakes on thr 82 wagoneer, popped off the dust caps to make sure they weren't siezed, and discovered no snap ring on either side! No idea how long it's been like that, has not been inspected since 2013. Hopefully no damage done.. front end is th3 next project after the brakes are done.

not sure if the missing snap ring shows up in the picture, but here goes..
left hub.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
82 Wagoneer Limited, A/K/A "Roscoe"

Was: brown metallic/Nutmeg

Now: Turd brown house paint/Nutmeg

Stuka
Site Admin

Re: Today's what the .... moment

Post by Stuka »

At least the snap ring on the end of the stub shaft is there. I am going to guess it hasn't been driven much. But glad you caught it! Thats an easy one to miss as it kind of blends in with the outer hub.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

Topic author
Moparmikeo

Post by Moparmikeo »

Stuka wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 8:14 pm At least the snap ring on the end of the stub shaft is there. I am going to guess it hasn't been driven much. But glad you caught it! Thats an easy one to miss as it kind of blends in with the outer hub.
Actually I posted the wrong pic - the other side IS missing the one on the end of the stub shaft. Know the size of that snap ring by chance? It looks to be about an inch... It was a long day, the right caliper required much persuasion - torch, vice grips, hammer., colorful language...... :lol:
82 Wagoneer Limited, A/K/A "Roscoe"

Was: brown metallic/Nutmeg

Now: Turd brown house paint/Nutmeg

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

Moparmikeo wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 3:03 pm
Stuka wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 8:14 pm At least the snap ring on the end of the stub shaft is there. I am going to guess it hasn't been driven much. But glad you caught it! Thats an easy one to miss as it kind of blends in with the outer hub.
Actually I posted the wrong pic - the other side IS missing the one on the end of the stub shaft. Know the size of that snap ring by chance? It looks to be about an inch... It was a long day, the right caliper required much persuasion - torch, vice grips, hammer., colorful language...... :lol:
I don’t know the size of hand. But it’s a very common part.

So was this side was missing the outer snap ring? Or did you remove it before the photo? Is clearly not in this shot.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

devildog80

Post by devildog80 »

Take the one off the side that has it, and take it to Ace Hardware. Just might find one!
'81 CJ5 Base, 258 I6, MC2100, T176 4 spd, 300 TC, D30 Front NT, 3.31, 2-Piece AMC 20 rear NT, 3.31, 4" high arc spring lift
'84 Grand Wagoneer, 401 V8 (.030 over), Edelbrock clone 1406, 727 auto, Selec-trac NP229, AMC 20 REAR - D44 FRONT - WT 3.31, 4" high arc spring lift
Rather be driving, than waiting to be modified