Help with Tailgate Remote Control Install / adjustments

Stock FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
Laredo Matt

Help with Tailgate Remote Control Install / adjustments

Post by Laredo Matt »

I'm almost embarrassed to have to ask but stuck getting the tailgate remote control to install correctly. TSM is not help. It just says install the remote control :-)

The remote was cleaned, all pivot points oiled and operating smoothly. I've spent hours over days trying to get it installed and operating correctly but have failed.

With it installed and the passenger side outer arm firmly mounted, it works flawless. Very light pull on the handle and it releases beautifully. When the driver outer arm is also firmly mounted. Neither will release and it starts to bind or the movement of both is not sufficient to release the latches.

I've tried adjusting both arms every way I can, step by step in tiny increments on both sides. Still no luck. Closest I've gotten is a relatively light pull on handle and both sides lift the arms but not quite to the point of releasing the latch.

Any tips or tricks to get it right? I've gone back and looked at mounting location of screws for both outer arms in pictures before I tore it apart. For the most part, they are centered in the in the mounting holes. I've tried that position, and every variation I can think of, and still not able to get it there.

TIA.
Matt
83 Cherokee Laredo WT
L8T 6.6L, 6L90
GEN III LS Swap (LM7 block)
4L60E

Tripwire

Re: Help with Tailgate Remote Control Install / adjustments

Post by Tripwire »

Hi brother, can you re- clarify this? there was no remote control.... if you mean dash switch it will work exactly as the key switch in the back door. if you can expand on the issue it would be helpful :) :) :)
FSJ.ORG JOIN DATE JULY 2000

Tripwire. 86 Grand. Howell fuel Injected 360. MSD Ignition + Dizzy. 727/228 BJ's 2" Lift and 31's

88 Wrangler Howell TBI and MSD - Borla Headers w/ Cat-back + winch and 31's AND a M416 trailer

Washington State

aantalis

Post by aantalis »

I think he means the tailgate latch mechanism? Take the latches off each side so you can visualize how the arms are meant to contact and release the latches. Keep all adjusting screws loose so you can fit the latches. It is a lot of trial and error.
Daily Driver for 24 yrs: 89 Grand Wag
Creampuff Ice Cream Truck: 91 Grand Wag
New Retirement Project: 79 Cherokee Chief
Wifes Car: 18 Grand Cherokee Summit Hemi
Mid-Life Crisis car: 69 Mercury Cougar XR-7 Convertible 390V8

Topic author
Laredo Matt

Post by Laredo Matt »

Correct, I meant the latch mechanism.

The TSM calls it remote control so was trying to use their terminology even though it was confusing to me at first.

TSM item 14 is "remote control"

Will have to keep working on tiny adjustments til I get it.
Matt
83 Cherokee Laredo WT
L8T 6.6L, 6L90
4L60E

SJTD

Post by SJTD »

One wonders if there's an issue with the strike adjustment also.
Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

aantalis

Post by aantalis »

the little actuator tabs on the ends of the rods didnt make sense to me at first. They seemed to rotate in all directions and didnt make sense how the contacted the latches. I suspect the drivers side is rotated incorrectly so that it is not making contact properly with the latch. I disassembled my tailgate 6 weeks ago and I thought I was being careful but reassembly of the latch rods took me 4 hours to figure out. If you take off the latches as I suggest, clean, degrease and regreas them. I used a wire brush, brake solvent and engine degreaser and regreased with white Lithium paste. As you may have noticed, there is some adjustment R and L on the actuator tabs once you get things close.
Daily Driver for 24 yrs: 89 Grand Wag
Creampuff Ice Cream Truck: 91 Grand Wag
New Retirement Project: 79 Cherokee Chief
Wifes Car: 18 Grand Cherokee Summit Hemi
Mid-Life Crisis car: 69 Mercury Cougar XR-7 Convertible 390V8

Topic author
Laredo Matt

Post by Laredo Matt »

Thanks Aantalis

The images I posted up in the thread are from a year ago when I disassembled the jeep. The arms have been cleaned and restored since, including soaking the tabs in gallon of solvent for 24 hrs each to free them up. Everything operates smoothly now and has been lubed.

It sounds like consensus is I just need to fiddle with and adjust them more. I think they driver side is mounted correctly, going off orientation in an old pictures and the TSM drawing above but I will pull the whole unit again and start over to see. I should have paid more attention when i pulled everything apart.

aantalis wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 1:57 pm the little actuator tabs on the ends of the rods didnt make sense to me at first. They seemed to rotate in all directions and didnt make sense how the contacted the latches. I suspect the drivers side is rotated incorrectly so that it is not making contact properly with the latch. I disassembled my tailgate 6 weeks ago and I thought I was being careful but reassembly of the latch rods took me 4 hours to figure out. If you take off the latches as I suggest, clean, degrease and regreas them. I used a wire brush, brake solvent and engine degreaser and regreased with white Lithium paste. As you may have noticed, there is some adjustment R and L on the actuator tabs once you get things close.
Matt
83 Cherokee Laredo WT
L8T 6.6L, 6L90
4L60E