Vent Window Latch

Stock FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
Harry Dawg

Vent Window Latch

Post by Harry Dawg »

Anyone got any ideas on how I can reattach the vent window latch to the window? It looks like I am missing the post that the latch mounts to, so I am thinking I will have to fabricate something. It looks like there is a key way in the latch, so I am thinking I will make something the same shape and use 2 part epoxy to secure it to the window. Has anyone run into this before? ImageImage

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk

1968 J3500 - 1985 CJ7 - 1998 Grand Cherokee 5.9 Liter Limited - 2006 Grand Cherokee Limited
Rhino USA Brand Success Manager
South East Offroad Activist

tgreese

Re: Vent Window Latch

Post by tgreese »

I'd recommend a junkyard solution. Buy a replacement vent window assembly and bolt it in to the door.

Vent window, frame and division bar can be replaced as a unit.
ventwindow82.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.

Topic author
Harry Dawg

Post by Harry Dawg »

That does seem to be the easiest way to go, but I am a miser so I think I will attempt some sort of DIY solution first.
Looks like I can get the vent window assembly for both sides on eBay for around $150-$200 after shipping.
1968 J3500 - 1985 CJ7 - 1998 Grand Cherokee 5.9 Liter Limited - 2006 Grand Cherokee Limited

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

How far is Jake's from you? You could also try to find a wreck nearby with car-part.com

If you could take the glass out, you could drill out the remains of the post, make and weld in a new stud to hold the handle. Looking at the parts book, it appears that Jeep only sold the frame and glass complete; apparently there was no practical way to separate the glass from the frame. 23.110 and 23.114. You could try it - you'll be no worse off than now. Maybe make some kind of a tool that will open the channel a little to get the glass out.
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Blockchain the vote.

Topic author
Harry Dawg

Post by Harry Dawg »

Jake's? I am not familiar with this yard.
I checked car-part.com but the search was unfruitful. This looks like a great resource though, so I will stick this one in my file for later use.

I'm with you on giving some fab work a shot though. Worse case scenario I am right back where I started.
Basically thinking I will weld a stud onto the remains of the post to determine if the whole post rotates, or if the rotation occurs within the latch.
Basically just something to turn on with a pair of vice grips.
From here I can make a decision on how to go about making the repair.
I am hoping that whole post and latch assembly rotates inside of the glass to make the repair easier.

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

Pretty sure the post is stationary. There should be a roll pin that goes through the handle to lock it to the post. I guess you lost the post?

Jake's: http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=184252
Tim Reese
Blockchain the vote.

Topic author
Harry Dawg

Post by Harry Dawg »

You are correct.
After further inspection, the rotation does occur within the vent latch handle, and the post is stationary.
Not sure what happened to the post. These doors have been around for a minute and aren't the original ones. I can't remember if I took the latches off my doors, or if the PO of the new doors gave them to me.

At any rate, I believe the next course of action is to fabricate some sort of post and epoxy it to the window.
On the driver side latch I do still have some of the original post, so I was able to do a little research on how it operated from the factory.
It appears that the notched keyway limits the range of movement and keeps the latch secured to the post.
Will be interesting to try and replicate such a precisely machined little system!

letank

Post by letank »

I tried the jb weld patch... to keep the window closed, it does not last, as per your pict, too much rust.

Removal of the glass is the best way, if we can figure out how to, without breaking it.

And yes the missing post has some elaborate geometry

there is a difference in year models, late on left and probably before 79 on right, this is the one on my 74, which I should have somewhere, because I swap doors many years ago, but kept the window, when I am back in town I'll post a pict.

Michel
74 wag (349 Kmiles... parked, next step is a rust free body)
85 Gwag (229 Kmiles... the running test lab)