Front Door Weatherstrip fitment / gaps

Stock FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
Laredo Matt

Front Door Weatherstrip fitment / gaps

Post by Laredo Matt »

I've been chipping away on my build and finally have the front doors rebuilt.

I purchased a complete weatherstrip kit from BJs.

I have some gaps in fitment on the front doors between the outer door wipes and the vent window seal there is about 1/4" gap for water to run down to the door interior.

Has anyone had similar fit issues and what have you done to address it? I know the old FSJ's "leaked" and don't expect perfection on aftermarket seals. Trying to find out what works well and looks good at the same time.

Driver side gap ....front vent windows are NOS so pretty sure they're an exact fit. Outer wiper is part of BJs complete 2Dr weatherstrip kit.

Passenger side gap is a bit smaller than driver side

Matt
83 Cherokee Laredo WT
L8T 6.6L, 6L90
GEN III LS Swap (LM7 block)
4L60E

aantalis

Re: Front Door Weatherstrip fitment / gaps

Post by aantalis »

Those wipes are tricky. I have similar gap and just completed this project last week. I was thinking of using a little bit of black silicone carefully placed.

Also make sure your window can come up completely without binding on the wipes. I had trouble with my manual windows as the window lifter was hitting the wipes. I had a quarter inch gap at the top of the window. I had to go back in and bend the receiving slots in the door back to level as they had pulled out a little bit and allowed the wipes to close in too much. Not sure if I did that when I remove the old wipes but it worked a lot better after I bent them back to parallel.
Daily Driver for 24 yrs: 89 Grand Wag
Creampuff Ice Cream Truck: 91 Grand Wag
New Retirement Project: 79 Cherokee Chief
Wifes Car: 18 Grand Cherokee Summit Hemi
Mid-Life Crisis car: 69 Mercury Cougar XR-7 Convertible 390V8

Topic author
Laredo Matt

Post by Laredo Matt »

I thought about silicone but think I'm gonna see if I can't find some bit pieces/covers made to fill gap in weatherstrip. I have some on the window trim of my older toyota pickup. They look factory, so perhaps I can find something and then attach it with some silicon. Will update thread if I find anything worth sharing
Matt
83 Cherokee Laredo WT
L8T 6.6L, 6L90
GEN III LS Swap (LM7 block)
4L60E

devildog80

Post by devildog80 »

And check the drain holes in your door, so if you get moisture in, it can get out.
'81 CJ5 Base, 258 I6, MC2100, T176 4 spd, 300 TC, D30 Front NT, 3.31, 2-Piece AMC 20 rear NT, 3.31, 4" high arc spring lift
'84 Grand Wagoneer, 401 V8 (.030 over), MC2150 HA Comp, 727 auto, Selec-trac NP229, AMC 20 REAR - D44 FRONT - WT 3.31, 4" high arc spring lift
Rather be driving, than waiting to be modified