Air conditioning compressor electrical

Stock FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
hanger

Re: Air conditioning compressor electrical

Post by hanger »

I do have something in that location. It’s not a black box like that but sticks inside of the ductwork and looking at it through the vent has what looks like resistor coils in it. It has 5 wires 10-12 Gauge wires going to it.

I think what I’m looking at is my AC TEMPERATURE SENSOR.

89_Wagon

Post by 89_Wagon »

That's probably your AC blower motor resistor. There are 2... one on the AC duct and the other on the heater box in the engine compartment. You have 2 blower motors.... one for the AC and another for heat. The AC and heater systems are virtually separate.

IIRC, my module was on the steering column. I'm away from home ATM so I can't check.

Topic author
hanger

Post by hanger »

Surprised it’s located on the opposite side from where the blower motor is located, would have expected them in close proximity of each other.

Where is the AC TEMPERATURE Sensor located? Is it in the ductwork? I would expect it would be.

89_Wagon

Post by 89_Wagon »

I don't see a temperature sensor in the wiring diagram I linked to earlier nor did I come across one when I redid my AC. My understanding is that the thermistor acts as the temperature sensor. That sits right in front of the evaporator.

Topic author
hanger

Post by hanger »

Okay thanks. The wiring diagram in my Haynes manual shows a temp sensor and the thermistor both wires to the AC control module.

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

The Haynes and Chiltons manuals cover too many years and are full of errors. Best to avoid those entirely, except for thing like oil capacities.

Unfortunately the factory manual that covers your year is comparatively expensive. It is available through BJ's and Faxon Auto Lit. I think you'd be better off consulting the '82 or '89 manuals on the Tom Collin's site, along with the wiring and vacuum diagrams there, rather than the Haynes.
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.

Topic author
hanger

Post by hanger »

Does the blower motor have to come out to get to the evaporator/thermistor?

89_Wagon

Post by 89_Wagon »

Short answer: no.

There is an access panel on top of the AC housing. The screws are likely covered in a moisture barrier type goop or sheet. That needs to be removed to expose the screws. Once the panel is off, the evap can be removed. It's pretty snug. Follow the wires for the thermistor.

Topic author
hanger

Post by hanger »

89_Wagon wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 4:01 pm Short answer: no.

There is an access panel on top of the AC housing. The screws are likely covered in a moisture barrier type goop or sheet. That needs to be removed to expose the screws. Once the panel is off, the evap can be removed. It's pretty snug. Follow the wires for the thermistor.
Is this under the dash next to the AC blower motor?

89_Wagon

Post by 89_Wagon »

It is next to the blower motor on top of the AC housing. The Ac housing/duct system sits under the dash.

Some more detail to make sure you're on the right track.... the AC housing/duct system can be unbolted from the dash. It's a separate unit. There are screws along the front that run the full length and one in the passenger side firewall/footwell that hold the housing in place. That one is a little more tricky as it's just a bracket that extends from the housing.

You might need to remove some other things to jiggle out the housing. The access panel is on top of the AC housing, next to the AC blower motor. Again, there will likely be some moisture barrier hiding the screws for the panel. Also, depending on the length of the AC hose, you might be very limited on maneuvering the housing itself until the evap is pulled out. Word of caution, try not to man-handle the housing or else you risk either... a. kink a hardline.... or b. uncouple a fitting.

This all assumes your '86 is similar to my '89.

Topic author
hanger

Post by hanger »

Does anyone know what the resistance values for a thermistor are? I’m trying to figure out which thermistor would be closest to original.

AEE688ED-8F97-4EDA-AFD9-2E4675DCFE84.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.