Rear End Rub/Rub/Rub noise when Turning

Stock FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
CBJoe

Re: Rear End Rub/Rub/Rub noise when Turning

Post by CBJoe »

So...I added about 8-10oz of friction modifier to the QTrac....and after 2 days of driving the stick/slip is almost gone. I realize that this is probably way more than I should have added. But technically since I had the TCL-1 fluid I shouldn't need any additive to my understanding.

So Question....should I drain and fill the QTrac again if I added this much to the fluid?

Also...I had a couple instances of HOT highway driving where I felt what was like a trans slip or buck/bog at higher speed when trying to pass someone. Could this be a side effect of too much addative?

Joe
1976 Cherokee Chief / Stock Q-Trac, Stock 360

Topic author
CBJoe

Post by CBJoe »

The added friction modifier was a no-go...though not as bad as before, the stick slip still happens. Gonna drive it for a bit before pulling the trigger and pulling the transfer case. Luckily I found a transmission shop relatively local to me that has a lot of experience with these old Quadratrac units.

He chatted me up for quite a while. Nice guy. Apparently he's got a stash of old Qtracs that he keeps around for parts. Has all the seals in stock...hes gonna look around as he thinks he even has a set of the clutch cones stashed away. Thought I see that BJs now offers a cone set for 350$

Probably going to take the jeep out next week to chat him up.

Cheers, Joe
1976 Cherokee Chief / Stock Q-Trac, Stock 360

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

Oh, thats good. Hopefully they can get it working properly again.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

Horsman

Post by Horsman »

Joe, did you ever get a resolution to your popping noise when turning? I watched your video, my truck is doing the same exact thing.

Thanks,
Jeff
Jeff Horsman
1979 Jeep Wagoneer
1971 Cutlass SX455