Rear End Rub/Rub/Rub noise when Turning

Stock FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
CBJoe

Re: Rear End Rub/Rub/Rub noise when Turning

Post by CBJoe »

So...I added about 8-10oz of friction modifier to the QTrac....and after 2 days of driving the stick/slip is almost gone. I realize that this is probably way more than I should have added. But technically since I had the TCL-1 fluid I shouldn't need any additive to my understanding.

So Question....should I drain and fill the QTrac again if I added this much to the fluid?

Also...I had a couple instances of HOT highway driving where I felt what was like a trans slip or buck/bog at higher speed when trying to pass someone. Could this be a side effect of too much addative?

Joe
1976 Cherokee Chief / Stock Q-Trac, Stock 360

Topic author
CBJoe

Post by CBJoe »

The added friction modifier was a no-go...though not as bad as before, the stick slip still happens. Gonna drive it for a bit before pulling the trigger and pulling the transfer case. Luckily I found a transmission shop relatively local to me that has a lot of experience with these old Quadratrac units.

He chatted me up for quite a while. Nice guy. Apparently he's got a stash of old Qtracs that he keeps around for parts. Has all the seals in stock...hes gonna look around as he thinks he even has a set of the clutch cones stashed away. Thought I see that BJs now offers a cone set for 350$

Probably going to take the jeep out next week to chat him up.

Cheers, Joe

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

Oh, thats good. Hopefully they can get it working properly again.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

Horsman

Post by Horsman »

Joe, did you ever get a resolution to your popping noise when turning? I watched your video, my truck is doing the same exact thing.

Thanks,
Jeff
Jeff Horsman
1979 Jeep Wagoneer
1971 Cutlass SX455

Topic author
CBJoe

Post by CBJoe »

Horsman wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 5:15 pm Joe, did you ever get a resolution to your popping noise when turning? I watched your video, my truck is doing the same exact thing.

Thanks,
Jeff

Sorry for the slow reply...Funny enough I did not. I have actually been thinking about this recently as I'm trying to lay out all the maintenance and repair stuff on the jeep this year. When I last posted on this thread I had thought it was the QTrac cones being worn and causing the chatter.

Funny enough I've put almost 15K Miles on the jeep since then...and its only just now getting a little worse. Doesn't do it when jeep is first started and cold...once warm its a consistent slow turn thing.

My QuadraTrac has the low range option, so I have the Hi/Lo lever under my drivers seat. What I just realized is that when I slow turn and have the rub/rub vibration from what feels like rear of vehicle, I cannot feel it in the lever. So I think this is NOT the transfer case. I think its one of the following:

Most likely - Rear differential Spider Gears
Less Likely - Rear Wheel/axle bearings. Only reason I say less likely is that I cant imagine that I could drive 15K miles with a bad wheel bearing and not have it truely fail.

I would love to hear thoughts on this. I have had the diff cover off twice in the last year and the Ring/Pinion wear looks good. I did not closely inspect the spider gears.

Cheers, Joe

Horsman

Post by Horsman »

CBJoe wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 3:48 pm
Horsman wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 5:15 pm Joe, did you ever get a resolution to your popping noise when turning? I watched your video, my truck is doing the same exact thing.

Thanks,
Jeff

Sorry for the slow reply...Funny enough I did not. I have actually been thinking about this recently as I'm trying to lay out all the maintenance and repair stuff on the jeep this year. When I last posted on this thread I had thought it was the QTrac cones being worn and causing the chatter.

Funny enough I've put almost 15K Miles on the jeep since then...and its only just now getting a little worse. Doesn't do it when jeep is first started and cold...once warm its a consistent slow turn thing.

My QuadraTrac has the low range option, so I have the Hi/Lo lever under my drivers seat. What I just realized is that when I slow turn and have the rub/rub vibration from what feels like rear of vehicle, I cannot feel it in the lever. So I think this is NOT the transfer case. I think its one of the following:

Most likely - Rear differential Spider Gears
Less Likely - Rear Wheel/axle bearings. Only reason I say less likely is that I cant imagine that I could drive 15K miles with a bad wheel bearing and not have it truely fail.

I would love to hear thoughts on this. I have had the diff cover off twice in the last year and the Ring/Pinion wear looks good. I did not closely inspect the spider gears.

Cheers, Joe
I thought the same, rear diff coming apart. Visually I saw nothing once the diff cover was removed. Since my Qtrac was rebuilt by BJ’s Off Road, I figured it had to be in the rear diff. I replaced the wheel bearings, new Dana carrier, new seals, gaskets and fluid. Noise is still there once vehicle is warmed up after rebuilding the diff. Popping from rear of truck on turns forward or backwards. I have been told that some of this popping/clunking noise is a normal characteristic of a QTrac transfer case. The sound feels like something is being damaged. Having a hard time believing this is normal.
Jeff Horsman
1979 Jeep Wagoneer
1971 Cutlass SX455