Gas Pedal Mounting - Convert to Suspended?

Stock FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
kjandb

Gas Pedal Mounting - Convert to Suspended?

Post by kjandb »

I cleaned up the ball mount as best as I could and drilled out new holes since the bottom of the ball bolt was rusted out completely. Not ideal, but figured it would be good enough. But now I'm realizing my new floor pans aren't flat like the original floor so the pedal will not be level :banghead:

So, I'm thinking maybe now is the time to convert to a suspended/hanging pedal? Has anyone found a good replacement option?

'71 Wagoneer - 4" BJ's Leaf Lift - early 360 - Avocado Mist ???
S Idaho

tgreese

Re: Gas Pedal Mounting - Convert to Suspended?

Post by tgreese »

I would make a wedge to go under the pedal and straighten it. Those pedals are scarce in good condition. Measure the angle of the floor to level using an angle finder. Make a drawing and find a machinist to make your part, if you can't. Easy.

An example: https://www.amazon.com/BIZOMANT-Inclino ... 09DRX8L9Z/ - there are many similar product. Very handy tool.
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.

Topic author
kjandb

Post by kjandb »

Good idea. Maybe find a close-fit fox wedge and grind it to fit? That's probably within my skillset :)

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Klein-Tools ... /203581294

I'm still a bit nervous about my modified bolts, they'll be much smaller than the originals under the balls but it's all I have to work with. And now that I look at the pic I posted I think I have the plate backwards??
S Idaho

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

The pedal should have a rubber flap that goes under the chrome plate. You can see the remnant of it there with the plate. Yes, the bracket is mounted backwards. The flap goes over the two holes, and the plate goes over that with two screws into the floor. Look at Plate Gr4 - L5 here: https://oljeep.com/edge_parts_man.html Rhe J-Series parts book. Suggest you download it all to your desktop and open it from there.
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.

Topic author
kjandb

Post by kjandb »

I assumed the pivot ball (yellow) originally bolted through the floor, not the screws through the flap (green). That makes me feel much better about it. I'm surprised that's all that's holding the pedal down. Thanks tgreese - I'll measure the angle, get a wedge, and post my results.

S Idaho

Triumph215

Post by Triumph215 »

Can I ask what truck this is in? You show a clip on the firewall that I don’t have, the throttle mount at the firewall is terrible on my ‘77. A clip would be helpful.
Thanks
1964 Triumph TR4 with 1964 Olds 215 heart transplant
1977 Wagoneer
2009 BMW GS1200

Triumph215

Post by Triumph215 »

Never mind…see it now. :)
1964 Triumph TR4 with 1964 Olds 215 heart transplant
1977 Wagoneer
2009 BMW GS1200

Topic author
kjandb

Post by kjandb »

Not sure how to find the proper placement of the pedal...can someone tell me the measurement between pedals? Image

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

S Idaho

AZOutdoors

Post by AZOutdoors »

What did you end up doing with your gas pedal kjandba? The pedal on my '66 Wagoneer is in the same condition with the rubber flap that goes under the chrome piece torn off. The ball sockets are decent, but the pedal pops off of them if I put too much pressure on it. I have been searching to see if someone has come up with a way to repair that flap (other than a giant gate hinge that I saw someone do to an old GM car). Is the general consensus to upgrade to a later model hanging gas pedal?

Harry Dawg

Post by Harry Dawg »

HA! Going through the exact same thing on my Gladiator. Here are some photos of my mounting. Floors weren't level after replacing them, so I tried to beat them down with a hammer but just ended up tearing the metal a little. I figured this was the best it was going to get.
My throttle cable to fire wall bracket is also missing. Currently debating on what to do about it as the throttle response is horrible without it in the right place. Thinking about using this Camaro clip.
ImageImageImageImage

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk

1968 J3500 - 1985 CJ7 - 1998 Grand Cherokee 5.9 Liter Limited - 2006 Grand Cherokee Limited
Rhino USA Brand Success Manager
South East Offroad Activist

AZOutdoors

Post by AZOutdoors »

Seems like that clip could work. Looks like the one in the fourth picture on the thread. Looks like the rubber piece at the bottom of your pedal is still intact and secured under that chrome piece. Since mine is torn off, a hard push on the pedal causes it to pop off the ball studs. Thinking about fastening a strong piece of rubber or other material to the bottom of the pedal to replace the piece that tore off....

Harry Dawg

Post by Harry Dawg »

Yes.
My rubber pedal is still in tact. This was actually pulled off a parts truck.
The original looked about like yours.
What would you use to secure the new material to the petal?
In theory it should be there only to limit the pedal from popping off the ball studs.
You might rivet a piece of heavy duty canvas or something to the main pedal.
I would trust that more than a piece of rubber, but just my 2 cents.
Probably would collect more dirt, but it would be less likely to tear IMO.
1968 J3500 - 1985 CJ7 - 1998 Grand Cherokee 5.9 Liter Limited - 2006 Grand Cherokee Limited
Rhino USA Brand Success Manager
South East Offroad Activist

AZOutdoors

Post by AZOutdoors »

Good suggestion Dawg. I will play around with a few different materials and attachment methods and see what works best.

Herk

Post by Herk »

Buy new studs https://stores.partsdude4x4.net/gas-pedal-studs/ and place a washer two between the stud and floor as necessary to orient the gas pedal where you want it.

AZOutdoors

Post by AZOutdoors »

Great suggestion Herk.