Stainless Trim repair

Stock FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
ArchitectJS

Stainless Trim repair

Post by ArchitectJS »

Anybody have any advice, tips or resources for repairing the stainless trims? I'm talking about working out small bends, dents or creases in windshield and tailgate trims. What kinds or tools, etc?
1982 Cherokee, base (Bumppo)
AMC 258 / A727 - AMC 20 / NP208
Holley Sniper with Hyperspark
3" Rough County Lift

Pair O J10

Re: Stainless Trim repair

Post by Pair O J10 »

Stainless can be worked with a hammer , then you can sand out hammer marks to a certain extent...trick is to get it flat or as back to original profile as humanly possible. That may take many hours of light and heavy hammer blows against a dolly. Then you sand the work marks down with progressively finer grits of paper, ultimately buffing and polishing the piece on a wheel to remove all evidence of it being worked. It takes some time to do correctly but anyone can do it.

runuover86gw

Re: Stainless Trim repair

Post by runuover86gw »

My main tip for you would be to practice on a piece that is either a spare that you don't care much about or buy a cheap piece of damaged stainless trim. Do not start on a piece that is very hard to find or replace. It takes a lot of practice and a lot banging your head against the wall to get this process down. I will see if I can find the links to some of the videos that I watched before I repaired my first piece of trim. And as said above, it can be a very labor intensive process. And it is also very easy to screw up the piece of trim you are working on. So, if you don't have patience, I would say to try to find a good piece of trim.
Josh's Classic Custom Auto Electronics LLC, Owner/Founder
https://www.facebook.com/JoshsFSJRelayKits
1986 GW 360/NP229/TF727/Dana 44's
1986 Comanche
1979 Wagoneer Limited 360/Quadra-Trac/Turbo 400/Dana 44's