What is this bracket on my frame?

Stock FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
IndianOutlaw

What is this bracket on my frame?

Post by IndianOutlaw »

I am in the process of tearing down my 78 Cherokee and am going to be cleaning up and repairing the frame. I have this bracket just to the rear of the engine mount that was used for something at some point, but I'm not sure for what.It was an automatic when it was born but now has a T15.. Any and all help is greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance...

Please excuse the red circle, the picture was larger but I had to cut it down to download.
Frame.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

twisted frame

Re: What is this bracket on my frame?

Post by twisted frame »

It doesn't look stock to me. Is that a piece of steel welded to the bottom of the bracket and to the bottom of the frame? If so, the whole piece looks added on, to me. Are you aware of any engine swap that might have been done on this truck?
73 J4000. 360, MC 2100, T18A, D20, stock closed knuckle Dana 44 front, 60-2 rear. Warn Lock-O-Matics, Warn/Belleview electric winch, true duals with glasspacks, old-school front diff skid plate, used 265 Toyos on 16" AR wheels.

Topic author
IndianOutlaw

Post by IndianOutlaw »

Thanks for the reply… I am unaware of any engine swap, it looks well done and fits like a stock bracket would. There isnt one on the other side..

Looks like Im probably clear to cut it off without future issues.

fulsizjeep

Post by fulsizjeep »

Bump stop for axle differential I think. About half of it has been cut off. It's on passenger side correct?
Flint Boardman
88 GW, 401/727/208, 5" lift, D44s/4.10s/locked up, 35s
https://jubileejeeps.org/quadratrac

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

Yes, that was a axle bump stop that was added for the late 70's. Not sure of the exact year it showed up. May have been 76-77.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

Topic author
IndianOutlaw

Post by IndianOutlaw »

fulsizjeep wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 5:53 am Bump stop for axle differential I think. About half of it has been cut off. It's on passenger side correct?
Perfect! and yes, thats correct...

Thank you so much