QuadraTrac rebuilder

Stock FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
Horsman

QuadraTrac rebuilder

Post by Horsman »

Doing a mechanical restoration on my 79 Wagoneer and looking for a recommendation on where to send my transfer case for rebuild/restoration. Looking for someone who is familiar with these units and will use quality USA made parts. Thanks in advance.

BTW, I am a new member to the forum and very glad to have this resource.
Jeff Horsman
1979 Jeep Wagoneer
1971 Cutlass SX455

Curly

Re: QuadraTrac rebuilder

Post by Curly »

You can get a rebuilt one from BJ's offroad or he sells the parts to do it yourself. Pretty easy to do.
I start what I finish.

81 Wagoneer 4.2/auto
77 Cherokee S 360/Auto/QT
97 Jeep Wrangler

Trosskyll

Post by Trosskyll »

Yip. Parts from BJ's fitted my Q.T. perfectly. Apart from being careful about how you go about the job, not that hard to DIY. BJ's have been a great help and source for me to get my truck restored in New Zealand :)
'76 Cherokee Chief AMC304, TH400, QT, Dana 44F, Dana 60 R. = Under restoration right now :fsj:
'82 J20 AMC258 4.2, T18a, NP208, Dana 44F, Dana 60 R. = 3x J20 truck waiting for restoration next :D

TheShagoneer

Post by TheShagoneer »

I bought the BW gasket and seals kit and am in the middle of rebuilding it. I have it torn apart right now.

Problem I am having is that the front output yoke spins freely instead of spinning with the rear yolk when I turn like it did before I took it apart.

Anyone ran into this before?
Thanks!
##79 Cherokee Chief##
:fsj:

Stoffregen M-sports

Post by Stoffregen M-sports »

TheShagoneer wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 6:13 pm I bought the BW gasket and seals kit and am in the middle of rebuilding it. I have it torn apart right now.

Problem I am having is that the front output yoke spins freely instead of spinning with the rear yolk when I turn like it did before I took it apart.

Thanks!
How did your rebuild turn out? I just rebuilt mine using parts from BJ's, including the 4x2 part time kit. The t-case is very simple inside, but I did come across a couple surprises that had me scratching my head.
Stoffregen Motorsports
@mstoffregen

1978J10REDWHITE

Post by 1978J10REDWHITE »

Stoffregen M-sports wrote: Sun Dec 26, 2021 11:35 am
TheShagoneer wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 6:13 pm I bought the BW gasket and seals kit and am in the middle of rebuilding it. I have it torn apart right now.

Thanks!
How did your rebuild turn out? I just rebuilt mine using parts from BJ's, including the 4x2 part time kit. The t-case is very simple inside, but I did come across a couple surprises that had me scratching my head.
I was looking for the shift forks end piece bushing, I think they are nylon or synthetic anyway.
Are these available or is it with forks only. They look like something a 3D-Printer can MFG.

Stoffregen M-sports

Post by Stoffregen M-sports »

Oh, the small tips where the fork meets the collar. I saw someone had them for sale, but can't remember where now. Basically I was googling Jeep quadratrac transfer case parts and a few limited suppliers came up. That's where I was doing my searching. BJ's does have a fair amount of parts available. I called Ryan at BJ's a few weeks ago to ask about used parts, and they do sell used parts, but he said he'd have to check with his rebuilder. Worth a shot.
Stoffregen Motorsports
@mstoffregen

Topic author
Horsman

Post by Horsman »

Excited my transfer case is being rebuilt by BJ’s off-road. Looking forward to getting it back.
Jeff Horsman
1979 Jeep Wagoneer
1971 Cutlass SX455

1978J10REDWHITE

Post by 1978J10REDWHITE »

Are you installing the BJ's 4x2 kit in your TC?
I actually have the kit, yet to install it.
One aspect is the manual engage requires a cable type mechanism.
It seems reasonable doable. Cable are available, custom made ones too.

Topic author
Horsman

Post by Horsman »

1978J10REDWHITE wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 5:21 pm Are you installing the BJ's 4x2 kit in your TC?
I actually have the kit, yet to install it.
One aspect is the manual engage requires a cable type mechanism.
It seems reasonable doable. Cable are available, custom made ones too.
No, I am leaving it as it was from the factory.
Jeff Horsman
1979 Jeep Wagoneer
1971 Cutlass SX455

TheShagoneer

Post by TheShagoneer »

Hey everyone, I am resurfacing from under the beast after several weekends of messing around with the Tcase. I’ll summarize where I’m at now.

I swapped the TH400 with a 700R (K case, 4x4 with a shift kit) and finally got the Tcase mounted to the trans. The original QT bell housing needed to be kept and mate to the advance adapter. From here: https://www.advanceadapters.com/product ... apter-kit/

The AA spud shaft is pretty long, given the TH400 has a long output shaft and the 700 is shorter with the 4x4 output shaft, so AA tells you that you need to cut the 700R output shaft by about a half inch or so. I finally figured out that I needed to do that since their instructions are not so great. After doing that I was able to get the QT bell housing to fit up against the AA plate on the 700, after baking the new bearing and freezing the spud shaft to make the interference fit work.

long story short the QT is back on the new trans (minus the reduction unit cuz that B is heavy) and all I gotta do is put the cross member back in. NOTE: they say that the original length is maintained with the new adapter so you can mount to the same spot on the cross member but I am off by about 1/4 inch. So, I’ll have to drill some new holes and shim if I need to.

The gaskets and everything worked out great from BJ’s. Turns out the T case had the part time 4x4 kit in it already which I wasn’t aware of.. that’s why my front shaft wasn’t spinning when I spun the back one.

So she’s all good now! Just gotta modify the cross member and put everything back together. I do see that the front shaft is going to be a problem with the oil pan of the 700R. So off to figure that out..
##79 Cherokee Chief##
:fsj: