Stumbling going up hill

Stock FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
COjeeper

Stumbling going up hill

Post by COjeeper »

So I bought an 87 wagoneer back and may and got it running great after a little work. The other week I changed the diff fluid and serviced the transmission and now when i try to go uphill the motor will bog down and doesn’t put out any power until it dies. When I start it up it idles great and has good throttle response. It doesn’t feel like there is any slipping in the transmission and I have a hard time believing it has anything to do with the service I did. Anyone have any suggestions? It’s a 360.

Yeller

Re: Stumbling going up hill

Post by Yeller »

Just guessing but collapsing rubber fuel line would be my guess. Dies let’s the vacuum release, line opens up and it runs again
The bus I ride is so short it is a yellow Smart Car full of squirrels, monkeys and clowns.

1970 J2500 Resto Mod
https://www.fsjnetwork.com/forum/viewt ... 12&t=21395

1974 Bronco “Broncno”
https://classicbroncos.com/forums/threa ... st-3411909

BaldBeardedBastard

Post by BaldBeardedBastard »

Will it idle if you get off the throttle off of load? It definitely sounds like a fueling issue like Yeller said. Have you checked the fuel filters?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

'86 GW Cummins 2.8/4l60E. Hopefully bouncing down a dusty road somewhere.
Build Thread

Topic author
COjeeper

Post by COjeeper »

I think it’s probably a fuel issue too, rebuilt the carb replaced filter and I’m running an electric fuel pump with the mechanical pump. I’ll check the fuel lines and see if any are collapsing. I haven’t tried letting off the throttle but I’ll check that after the holidays.

letank

Post by letank »

So, it idle in park or neutral... and you can rev up the engine... BUT in gear it will bog down when going uphill... Now, if you put it in neutral or park when the engine bogs down, does the engine stay idling?

Of course recheck the fluid level,

I had the same issue when I serviced the trans on the 85... it was going downhill without a hiccup, but uphill was a struggle... the transmission hydraulic channels may not filled up properly, one of servo o-ring is too loose, the one that drops when you remove the oil filter ! Keep it in drive and try to let it idle as best as you can for a little while.

From this site: https://streettechmag.com/2014/09/30/72 ... nd-tricks/

Michel
74 wag (349 Kmiles... parked, next step is a rust free body)
85 Gwag (229 Kmiles... the running test lab)