74 Cherokee Sport dual tank set up

Stock FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
dturnersr

74 Cherokee Sport dual tank set up

Post by dturnersr »

My 74 Sport has a second tank that looks like an add on.

I've read dealers did a lot of these back then. It has the factory filler neck, split vent hoses, and a manual selector valve under the drivers seat by the Transmission tunnel. I would guess that it fills through the rear auxiliary tank into the factory side tank. I haven't really got under to examine it closely yet. Does anyone have a set up like this or information.

The fuel guage read a quarter tank.....I'm guessing that's the sender in the factory tank.
U.S. Army Retired, Former LEO
1974 Jeep Cherokee Sport, 401, Edlebrock, Holly 650, GM HEI, TH400, QTRAC w/Low range.

Fast79Chief

Re: 74 Cherokee Sport dual tank set up

Post by Fast79Chief »

Mine has the 2 tanks, and each tank has it's own filler neck.
1979 Cherokee Chief S, V8, MSD Pro Billet Distributor with New Factory Ignition Box (are these 2 even supposed to work together?), HEI Wires, Edelbrock 1406, Edelbrock Performer manifold, 3.54 gears, Tru-Trac Locker in the rear, Turbo 400, New Quadratrac, Dual gas tanks, new 32 x 11.50's, Big 9000 winch, Homemade 2.5" full length exhaust, Custom Headlight Harness, Custom front bumper working, Custom Rear Swing-out Bumper, Class V receiver hitch ... and a lot of work to do yet. :)

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

Depending on how it's set up, with these setups there is usually a toggle switch on the dash that switches between the main and aux sender.

Since it's custom from nearly five decades ago, you're going to have to get under the Jeep and map out how it's set up.

These can be set up to switch electrically between the main and aux, and the electric valve will also switch the gauge. This is how my J20 is set up, with a separate filler for the rear tank (a loong ways to the rear from the main) and an electric solenoid valve that switches the tank, the return and the gauge.
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.

Fast79Chief

Post by Fast79Chief »

The factory didn't install 'electric switching' in 1979.
Any of that is aftermarket modification.
The factory/dealer installed aux tanks of the day have the manual switch on the drivers floor back by the seat front.
[url=https://flic.kr/p/27D4UCk]Image
1979 Cherokee Chief S, V8, MSD Pro Billet Distributor with New Factory Ignition Box (are these 2 even supposed to work together?), HEI Wires, Edelbrock 1406, Edelbrock Performer manifold, 3.54 gears, Tru-Trac Locker in the rear, Turbo 400, New Quadratrac, Dual gas tanks, new 32 x 11.50's, Big 9000 winch, Homemade 2.5" full length exhaust, Custom Headlight Harness, Custom front bumper working, Custom Rear Swing-out Bumper, Class V receiver hitch ... and a lot of work to do yet. :)

Topic author
dturnersr

Post by dturnersr »

Thanks that is exactly what I have. As far a I can see the aux tank has no sender unit.
U.S. Army Retired, Former LEO
1974 Jeep Cherokee Sport, 401, Edlebrock, Holly 650, GM HEI, TH400, QTRAC w/Low range.

Fast79Chief

Post by Fast79Chief »

That's correct. You have to 'guess' how much gas you have in the early aux tanks, unless you drop it, and cut one in.

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

I had an aux tank in my first CJ with an in-floor tank switch like that. I could run the aux until it ran out, and switch on the fly. This works fine if you are driving down the highway - the engine starts to sputter and you reach down and switch it. Of course, it would be risky in stop-and-go traffic. You could stall out and have to crank and crank to get fuel to the carb from the main tank.

Note that those valves are a commodity item, and having that kind of switch does not guarantee that your installation is the same as anyone elses.

https://www.amazon.com/Moeller-Fuel-Fou ... B000MTI18M
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.